Shapeoko XXL Y-Axis Issue

So my shapeoko xxl has been working properly for the last few weeks, until yesterday. I went to load up a job and when it was homing, I noticed that the Y2 motor sounded awful. It homed, but the Y-axis was not running smoothly at all.

When I jog the X and Z-axis by themselves, they run smoothly, but when I jog the y-axis, it is jumpy and sounds like the motor is bogged down.

I have checked all of the v-wheels, belts and connections and I do not see any obvious issues.

Also, when the machine is powered off, the y-axis moves freely without any issues so the axis is square and running smoothly on the v-grooves.

When I disconnect the Y1 from the control board, the machine just shakes and makes a lot of nasty noise. When I disconnect the Y2 from the control board (so only the Y1 is operating), the machine moves without the nasty noise.

Seems like a bad Y2 motor to me.

Like I said, I have been using the machine for a few weeks without any issues and then literally overnight this issue popped up. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

PS: When I received this machine in May 2018, it came with a bad control board. I wasn’t able to use the machine for over a week after I assembled it because I had to wait on a new control board.

I’m afraid it’s more likely that the stepper driver on the board has gone bad (the motors almost never fail).

It’s possible it’s a fault in the wiring extension — test with a multimeter if possible. To verify which part(s) are bad see: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/SO3_Function_Test#Y-axis_not_working_properly

Once you know which part(s) are bad drop us a line at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to get you running again.

I’ve got an email chain going with Brandon, Y1 motor is working properly, but Y2 is not.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.