Shapeoko XXL Z limit switch problem

Hi,

The Shapeoko we have worked for one year but after a long time not running, the Z limit switch does not work functionally. When we try to initialize machine, the module move up and down all the time and cannot reach the z limit switch. We have checked all the connection on board, and all the connection should still be right (Since we do not change any thing yet) The LED light on the board is on respectively when we test each XYZ switch one by one. We also check all the trails and make sure there ain’t anything block it. Still have the problem on the Z direction. Could anyone help us on that?

Welcome to the community @walterw! So when you’ve connected the machine, but not yet undergone Initialization, in the settings window, there are No Active Pins?

And, when you depress each limit switch by hand, the corresponding axis is displayed under “GRBL Active Input Pins”?

Each of the limit/homing switches actually work?

3 Likes

The above the instructions are correct but for current versions. I don’t think they work with 3.x versions. You can update to 5.13 for CM and 4.74 for CC.

I tried each switch by hand and each limit switch works like in the attached pic. But it still struggles to move towards Z limit switch when I try to initialize the machine.

It could be your wiring to the Z motor is iffy, does this seem familiar?

2 Likes

I checked all the wire color and all motors’ wire connection are correct. It works for one year, so I assume the connection should be right since I did not change any connections at all. I am still curious why it worked before but does not work now.

It might be that the motor has lost one of the two phases due to a bad connection developing on one of the four wires.

If the Z axis moves smoothly all the way up and down then there’s likely something wrong with the drive to the motor.

When you say moves up and down, is this jerking about at random? Does the stepper make a normal stepper sound or an angry ratchety sound?

2 Likes

Yeah. It is jerking at random with a ratchety sound.

Check all the connectors and wires on the Z motor, from the motor to the board.

Contact us at support@carbide3d.com — note the entire history and mention what you’ve checked — do you or a friend have a multimeter to check the wiring.

Since this is a classic belt Z, have you powered off the Shapeoko and manually moved the Z up and down to the limits. If you have any mechanical issues they will not get better with the power on. Additionally have you taken the Z belt off and looked at thoroughly for any missing or damaged teeth. Lastly check you Z motor pulley. There are two set screws and one should be on the flat of the stepper motor. These are very tiny screws and some people replace them with cap screws to make tightening easier and less risk of stripping the tiny set/grub screws.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.