Shapeoko Z-Plus

I’d imagine it would require replacing the extrusion as it wouldn’t be “bolt-on” friendly. I have a feeling a second or v4 machine will appear some time in the distant future.

1 Like

i need to go read up on the differences between the two again in terms of accuracy and reliability… down the rabbit hole I go

Just a mechanical stop?

But steel.

A few more questions, what is the Z travel?
Is there an EasyTram mechanism with this?

looks like a guide for the screw to me.

Nope, the hole patterns are different because we had to make this from sheet stock to keep the cost down. We’ll see what we can do moving forward.

Yep, close to the HDZ in performance but more in the middle for price.

Same sized rails but the ballscrew would be stiffer than an anti-backlash nut. (This is our own anti-backlash nut and it’s a lot beefier than the existing alternatives for a TR8x8 thread) That said, for most users it’s not a big difference in practice.

Yep. Can’t have it running off the end of the rails.

Z travel is close to the stock belt Z.

The spindle mount allows easier tram adjustment but it’s not the same at the EZ Tram on the HDZ.

We’re throwing together a blog post for next week to outline our Shapeoko development process moving forward but the short answer is that we’re moving toward rapid incremental improvement rather than a fixed Shapeoko V4, V5, V6. We think it’s better for customers and it better suits our abilities.

For what it’s worth, we did design Shapeoko 4 about 18 months ago but it was too expensive for us to be comfortable with it. Since then, we’ve worked really hard to cut costs so we can afford to upgrade the machines without massive price increases. A current Shapeoko with the Z-Plus and a BitSetter is a better version of what we had planned for Shapeoko 4.

19 Likes

:+1: As I was telling Winston earlier, the iterative upgrades is great, and keeps the initial cost of the machine down and you can upgrade as your need requires. I’m sure eventually there will be a road block for the more aggressive (S&F++) and accuracy someone might require in their field/industry, but there is solutions for that, outside of C3D, that people have already taken when they reach that point and grown beyond the SO3 capabilities. I think ya’ll are staying in your market very well, and enriching it further.

p.s. +1 for transparency :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I think that the Shapeoko accuracy and performance is very good but some people are running out of work area to undertake larger projects that will not fit the XXL and tiling is not always possible. I have such project on my plate and I will have to be very creative to complete the project. Having an upgrade path would probably be meeting a demand.

1 Like

This long awaited upgrade makes me SO Happy! ((Insert Happy Dance))

5 Likes

Can we see what the V4 could’ve looked?

1 Like

Yep, pretty much. Our goal is to make every shapeoko the best machine it can be for the best price. The HDZ was simply designed to be the best axis you can buy hence the industrial ball screw and machined design.

Having this in our line up is a game changer for entry level machines as it removes most of the grumbles people have with the original axis. The lead screw design is easier to setup from the word go, and we can even ship it assembled.

For those who want more from their machines (to push them/fit spindles) we still recommend the HDZ and hope to offer this as a “in the box” option shortly along with the new axis.

4 Likes

I also like the staggered upgrades to the machine, it’s a very mature approach and keeping costs down while improving the machine is very impressive.

I understand not wanting to release a whole new expensive model, but I personally would really like to see a Shapeoko pro or something similar. I’m of the same thought as @luc.onthego where I am quite happy with the current accuracy and performance of the XXL with HDZ, but am a bit hamstrung by the work area of it. I would LOVE to see something between the current SO3 and an AVIDCNC or Axiom machine, and would be quite willing to spend $5k+ on it.

+1 on any details on the V4, thought I don’t expect you’d share that!

5 Likes

Hoping those beers are chilled boys :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Ice. Cold.

Take my money.

3 Likes

@Luke I’m hoping you’re saying “I’m not done yet!”

4 Likes

We’re not even close.

7 Likes

so eh when is the subscription service of “just ship it to me” launched?

1 Like

All good stuff here. Just as I was cogitating on making a “better” CNC from scratch. I think you might have saved me from that rabbit hole.

I would hope that the product roadmap will eventually include models with gcode controlled on/off, speed control at the least. You do not appreciate that until you have it.

Party on Carbide 3D!

4 Likes

I’m hoping overall height of the Shapeoko will not exceed 21.5" with the Z mod ??? :pray: :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Been waiting for this upgrade, so excited for the upgrade kit to be released!