Shapeoko Z-Plus

Can we see what the V4 could’ve looked?

1 Like

Yep, pretty much. Our goal is to make every shapeoko the best machine it can be for the best price. The HDZ was simply designed to be the best axis you can buy hence the industrial ball screw and machined design.

Having this in our line up is a game changer for entry level machines as it removes most of the grumbles people have with the original axis. The lead screw design is easier to setup from the word go, and we can even ship it assembled.

For those who want more from their machines (to push them/fit spindles) we still recommend the HDZ and hope to offer this as a “in the box” option shortly along with the new axis.

4 Likes

I also like the staggered upgrades to the machine, it’s a very mature approach and keeping costs down while improving the machine is very impressive.

I understand not wanting to release a whole new expensive model, but I personally would really like to see a Shapeoko pro or something similar. I’m of the same thought as @luc.onthego where I am quite happy with the current accuracy and performance of the XXL with HDZ, but am a bit hamstrung by the work area of it. I would LOVE to see something between the current SO3 and an AVIDCNC or Axiom machine, and would be quite willing to spend $5k+ on it.

+1 on any details on the V4, thought I don’t expect you’d share that!

5 Likes

Hoping those beers are chilled boys :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Ice. Cold.

Take my money.

3 Likes

@Luke I’m hoping you’re saying “I’m not done yet!”

4 Likes

We’re not even close.

7 Likes

so eh when is the subscription service of “just ship it to me” launched?

1 Like

All good stuff here. Just as I was cogitating on making a “better” CNC from scratch. I think you might have saved me from that rabbit hole.

I would hope that the product roadmap will eventually include models with gcode controlled on/off, speed control at the least. You do not appreciate that until you have it.

Party on Carbide 3D!

4 Likes

I’m hoping overall height of the Shapeoko will not exceed 21.5" with the Z mod ??? :pray: :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Been waiting for this upgrade, so excited for the upgrade kit to be released!

Ok, it’s live at:

and it’s available to begin purchasing with a machine right now.

Once we get the final upgrade bracket done (and the docs to go with it) we’ll put some in stock for upgrades.

9 Likes

Take my money. Also, am I correct that the clearance and z-travel of the HDZ and Z+ are equal?

If so, then really the only reason to buy the HDZ would be a heavier spindle or heavy duty metal machining?

1 Like

In post number 17 from a few days ago this was brought up:
"> A few more questions, what is the Z travel?

Is there an EasyTram mechanism with this?

Z travel is close to the stock belt Z.

The spindle mount allows easier tram adjustment but it’s not the same at the EZ Tram on the HDZ."

1 Like

Like @stutaylo I would also love to get a Shapeoko that has a larger work area, like 48"+ (maybe 50" x 50") so I could throw a half-sheet (48" x 48") of plywood on it and be able to cut it from edge to edge. I realize that for me, I’d have to build a bigger shed to hold it, but it is a sacrifice I am willing to make. :slight_smile: I am not interested in any additional height either, Just longer X and Y rails would make me happy.

6 Likes

Also wanting to know that the height will be.

Yeah I saw that post, I don’t see how that’s possible. Look at this image:

While the holes for the spindle mount (I think) are slightly lower on the Z+ there seems to be ~2" of more vertical travel when they are side by side.

A table here with Old Z, Z+, and HDZ would be extremely helpful. Things like Overall Machine Height, Z Clearance, Z Travel, Max Spindle Weight, Weight, Recommended Application… for row level data

2 Likes

No worries, the overall height of the machine with the Z+ is 470mm (18.5").

1 Like

The screw mechanism takes more room than the belt so you cannot use tht as a reference.

1 Like

@robgrz

Something I haven’t seen yet, is the force multiplied? :smiley:

With the XXL / Makita I have now, I can assume something like 10 to 15 pounds of downforce (maybe for drilling?) Will the force be with you/us? :smiley:

2 Likes