Shapoek XXL cutting like a dumpster fire

everything I can see on the machine seems to be like it should be so I am at a lost on what could be causing it. the belts have equal tension. no missing teeth. I haven’t pulled them off to check the gear teeth. as well the wheels guilds have no chips or dents. the wheels are all clean.

Turn your spindle / router OFF and then unplug it so there is no chance of it turning on. Turn on your Shapeoko and connect to it with Carbide motion so that the stepper motors are fully engage. Grab hold of your spindle / router and see if it can wiggle around. If so there is a problem somewhere.

4 Likes

The y axis has 0 play the x has play… like 1/4” left to right. Well looks like I will be call first thing in the morning to carbid 3D. As it looks like the x axis motor has issues.

It’s not likely the motor — they almost never go bad, most likely it’s pulley set screws or the belt.

3 Likes

Looking at the images of your failed project, that checks out. Looks to have shifted about 1/4 of an inch left to right ie X.

I would start by checking that the belt is secure and that the pully’s grub screws are tight.

3 Likes

I have never wanted to shout “JINX!!!” at a forum post before. LOL

2 Likes

I check belts and puppies as well move the rollers slowly with power off every time I before I run it. The belts tensioners are tight it’s just the motor allowing it to shift left to right.

I’ll remove the belt and double check the teeth at all there and the gear on the motor isn’t messed up.

1 Like

Are the pulley’s grub screw(s) nice and tight? I have had them vibrate loose before on my 3D printer so it is very possible on a CNC.

3 Likes

Looks like it might be the gear screw…

It was the x axis gear screw.

5 Likes

Glad it was something simple.

Lock tighting it in now

2 Likes

Thank you didn’t know that trick to check everything when it’s on

1 Like

Maybe just a teething issue?

@WillAdams I’ve said this before privately…you are a patient man…Above and beyond.

7 Likes

Thank you as well for taking you time. It’s just extremely frustrating having several issues with this machine one after another especially after the router blew itself up a few months back.

The gear came completely loose both set screw had backed out.

Oh, I knew that. Was making a bad “puppy” joke. :wink:

5 Likes

I figured it would be a pulley set screw as soon as I looked at… only because I am still regrowing the hair I pulled out when I had the same problem on the Z-axis. I finally figured it out watching the machine run a simple file for about the 20th time and I actually saw the pulley slip.

I don’t recall if I screamed, but it was a combination of agony and relief.

1 Like

I had the same problem with mine and ended up putting second setscrew behind the first to lock it in place. so far so good have not had that problem for quite a while now.

1 Like