Silly expensive mistake

For increased leverage you could use the “two wrench trick” instead of a pipe.

2 Likes

Well the good news is “it COULD have been expensive” and to be honest is only “silly” if you’ve done it before and have not learned from it and repeat the same “mistake”. So in your case sounds like you get a pass and it’s just a mistake you and all of us get to learn because you shared. Glad in the end no spindles we’re hurt.

5 Likes

The Collet nut and the collets then selves are put through a “Black Oxide” process before final grinding/machining. This helps with rust prevention.

2 Likes

Not sure what exactly caused your issue (and probably not the following – which I didn’t realize was a thing to worry about until about 6-months ago – so I figure it is good to mention it here), but beware of Stainless-nut-to-Stainless-bolt setups, the threads have a possibility of galling (cold-welding). Here is a description from the cited website:

Why Fasteners Gall

Why Are Stainless Bolts Prone to Galling?

Stainless, aluminum, and titanium fasteners form thin protective oxide films on their exposed surfaces that prevent corrosion. In addition, this coating reduces friction and prevents direct metal to metal contact during fastening.

The protective oxide film can be rubbed or scraped off under the pressure and movement of the fastener being tightened. When this happens these relatively soft metals come into direct contact. Friction increases and the chance of galling increases significantly.

What Is Actually Happening?

Thread surfaces have microscopic high points that can rub together during fastening. In most cases this does not present a problem as the points slide over each other without damage.

Under certain conditions however, the surfaces will not slide past each other. The high points will then shear and lock together, greatly increasing friction and heat. As tightening continues the increased pressure results in more material being sheared off the threads. This cycle continues with even more shearing and locking until the threads are destroyed and the fastener will no longer turn in either direction.

From Bolt Depot - About Thread Galling

7 Likes

Thank you, I learned something!

1 Like

This was a good thread (no pun intended) for being aware of a potential issue. I have started checking my collet nut and spindle for any debris.

I had the question, would lubricant help, or cause other issues?

2 Likes

I was just watching a youtube video about upgrading brakes using stainless steel connectors. The advice was to avoid the risk of stainless to stainless connectors binding, by using PTFE grease on the threads.
At 20 minutes and 17 seconds in if you’re interested:
How To Unseize A Brake Caliper | Workshop Diaries | Edd China - YouTube

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.