Simulation of pocket wrong CC V743

I am trying to make a jig to hold a wine stopper to vcarve an image. I just upgraded to v743 and the simulation seems wrong. I created a pocket that is .75" deep with the #251 down cut bit. The simulation looks like it is doing an inside contour cut. Will someone please take a look at this file to see if it is me or the new version of CC 743.

wine_stopper.c2d (48 KB)

The jig is to hold a turning mandrel with a blank in it so I can vcarve some letters on top.

It looks like your seeing the bottom to the .750" pocket. Your stock is 4.5 inches thick.

1 Like

I think you are seeing an optical illusion. Changing the angle reveals:

1 Like

Maybe it is the view. I downloaded cambotics and this is their view so it is confusing to me.

The jig is not 4.5" thick but the piece that will mount into it is overall 4.5" thick. I will recycle the file for the actual carve.

The CAMotics view requires that you define the tool in an XML file.

Here is what I want to carve on top of the wine stopper. The previous was about making a holding jig for the bottle stopper.

I think the simulation was just an illusion. When I moved the view around it showed correctly. Since it was a new version I thought something was wrong. Thanks for all the help and support.

I posted the pics in What did you cut on your Shapeoko/Nomad today. To close out this thread here are the pics. I used a 20 degree vee bit to cut the pattern on a flat surface. I prefinished the piece on the lathe with sanding and Yorkshire grits. After painting I resanded from 150-600 grit and put the Shellawax on top.

Here is holding jig I made. I roughed the blank round and measured and made an mdf jig with a hole to cut the gear pattern.

I cut the blank to exactly 2" and cut a hole in the mdf for 2" on the Shapeoko with 4 holes to bolt it down to the spoilboard and it fit perfect. If the blank had not fit I would have taken the jig to the table saw and cut an 1/8" slit from one edge to the center hole and put a clamp on to hold it in place while machining.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.