Smaller end mills

Ah, I was laying in bed reading this thread on my phone and missed that part. I guess that’s why there weren’t already ten people mentioning it.

I machine a lot glass panels into acrylic. I rest machine the corners with a 1/16" endmill, producing a 1/32" corner radius. I clean up with a square file/sharp chisel/razor blade. Works just fine for me. The more difficult part is programming to avoid over cutting the corner. Endmill deflection. Machine deflection.

Lasers don’t necessarily give you a perfect corner either. The beam is conical. Heat saturation. ect

2 Likes

Here are some laser kerf information.

1 Like

Not quite what you are looking for but a die filer and a jig might be the fast way to square corners here. Luckily there are plans for a die filer here that can be made with a C3D cnc thanks to @RichCournoyer !

2 Likes

Use a square file with 90 degree faces- this works fine if you have to have exactly quart internal corners. Might have an issue if you can get a file in position???

You can cut square corners with a two inch endmill, but you may have to tweak the Gcode a bit by hand. The path needs to extend beyond the desired dimension by 1/2 the diameter of the end mill, both E-W and N-S so that the edge of the mill is tracing the desired path rather than the center of the end mill. This is easy enough for outside cuts, but inside or pocket cuts are more problematic. You may want to get some of the sub-millimeter Chinese endmills for sharp inside corners.

@StephenN Can I ask what you’re fitting in the acrylic that needs to be a perfect squared corner? Maybe the solution is on that side of the equation.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.