SO3: Anyone Using Artcam?

Has anyone or is anyone using Artcam instead of say Vetric Cut2D? Im looking at both and was wonder what you thought of either one?

Thanks

Dave

Has anyone or is anyone using Artcam instead of say Vectric Cut2D? I’m looking at both and was wonder what you thought of either one?

I’ve never used Artcam so I can’t speak to that. @WillAdams would know if Artcam has a “post” already done.

I have extensive experience with many of the Vectric products - Cut2D, Cut3D, PhotoVCarve, VCarvePro. They are, by far, some of the best packages out there.

That’s said, Cut2D is a bit weak. VCarvePro is more expensive but also much more capable. Highly respected.

There are post processors for the Nomad and SO3 available for the Vectric products.

But before you get too far, have you looked at Carbide Create for 2.5D work? It is essentially a Cut2D on steroids. I suggest taking a close look. A new release is expected within days.

For 3D work, there is nothing stopping you from simply using MeshCAM to do this kind of work - it’s all about the input (from your CAD).

mark

Thanks i haven’t had a chance to play with Carbide create yet and there are only a few videos on it so far since its still in beta. ill have to load it up. My shapeoko 3 should be here this weekend so i will be building that. I also have an xcarve but its not ridged enough for me as there is way to much flex in the rails. What spindle/router do you use with yours if i may ask?

Thanks I haven’t had a chance to play with Carbide create yet and there are only a few videos on it so far since its still in beta. ill have to load it up.

Yes, it has been a bit hard to get ahold of. I’ve used it a bit and expect it to easily outdo Cut2D for 2.5D work.

MeshCAM can easily take on Cut3D. No need for Cut3D.

MeshCAM can easily do the fancy scroll and other detail work that you see Artcam doing - simple 3D CAM.

It’s all about the source materials (your CAD)… and there are many good sources - or you can do it yourself.

Here is a small set of examples:

My shapeoko 3 should be here this weekend so i will be building that.

WOOHOO! Congratulations! Take your time and do it right. The assembly manual is excellent!

I also have an xcarve but its not ridged enough for me as there is way to much flex in the rails.

Sadly, many discover this out the hard way. The xcarve is just not in the same class as the SO3 - or many other commercial CNC machines. The Shark is also not so good.

You’ll be happy with the SO3, especially if you look into some of the extras - replacement bed, stiffeners and so forth.

What spindle/router do you use with yours if i may ask?

I often work with big machines - Shopbot, Tormach, CAMaster, Haas, Datron - doing 3, 4, and 5 axis work.

Inside the house I have a Nomad 883 Pro and a PocketNC. No SO3.

I teach CNC and machining (on the side) so I spend some time helping out in the forum.

mark

The wiki has a link for it: Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable

Which says:

ArtCAM[47] — Use Mach3 PP for Shapeoko2 and GRBL[48]

Linking to: Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable in the latter footnote.

FWIW, my inclination to purchase MeshCAM would either be directly, or through the CNC Cookbook folks, bundled w/G-wizard when they’re doing one of their frequent sales.

1 Like