SO3: Are things on track for the XL and XXL shipments to begin?

Chris,

It wouldn’t be a shock. I’m torn between the natural desire to have the thing, and wanting them to get it right. Getting it right wins, but OTOH I was a kid who woke up at 5:00 AM every Christmas Morning, so…

When I saw Feb. 28th stuff going out, I thought my Feb. 29th order would be hot on its heels. Then they had the delay on XXL (supposedly until Mon. or Tue.) waiting for more MDF bottom boards. We’ll see.

I didn’t have homing switches or feet either. But I didn’t see feet in the parts list. Putting it together now. The controller board doesn’t seem to go on the gantry anymore. The screw holes are on one of the two shorter Y extrusions. I’m putting it on the left. Any Ideas if that is right before I get too far?

1 Like

My understanding is that’s right.

I ordered my XXL march 23rd and I have no tracking number yet. Order number 2698.

I’m March 27th. Order 2736. Nothing yet.

Please ! Edward

An update with an real shipping time !
We are waiting for any response…

1 Like

Hmm, a little speculative math leads me to guess that they were getting around 8 orders a day, although obviously they weren’t all for SO3 platforms. I’ll guess they have sold something in the range of 380-480 machines. How many have we seen delivered to date?

When I ordered back in February, the site said that shipping would begin March 31. Knowing how these things go, I figured I might see mine about a month after that, at the end of April. Well, shipping started about two weeks late. No official word, but it seems like maybe shipping has now stalled?

Using my HIGHLY SPECULATIVE numbers, if they got 10 machines out the door starting today, we’d be 38 to 48 days getting all of our machines. Double that to 20/day and we are looking at 19 to 24 days.

So for now I’m going to reset my personal ETA to “sometime in May”. Hopefully my early order date will mean an earlier delivery, but I think we’ll all have time to fix a cup of coffee and read today’s paper.

Patience is a virtue, right?

Good thing I have fun coffee toys too…

2 Likes

Good Lord Chris,

Do we all have these obsessions? My coffee roasting days are behind me (at least for now), but I still have a selection of various brewers, Mazzer grinders, etc.,.

1 Like

I imagine there’s a lot of overlap in the various nerdery subcultures.

Sorry to derail the depressing shipping conversation…thought we could use a distraction. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I ought to change the thread title to “Hanging out in the waiting room”.

3 Likes

All,

Massive update time.

Thanks to all of your emails, phone calls, and community posts, we have become aware of a few problems that we created for ourselves. Here is the rundown of the situation (by shipping date) and the near term resolution.

Some of the answers are repetitive, but I put each in their respective section for clarity.

Also - On behalf of the Entire team at Carbide3D we want to say Thanks to everyone for both supporting us and for the patience while we get our processes ironed out and standardized. We wanted this product launch to be better than the original Shapeoko 3 last year. And, although it is much improved, it’s clear to us that we still have a lot to work on when it comes to launching Shapeokos.

XXL Kits Shipped 4/8
1.) Stepper Motor cable extensions
2.) Drag chain mounting brackets and associated hardware (for both the X and Y axis)
3.) M5x16mm Button Head cap screws (2pcs) - (to attach the spindle mount to the Z-axis plate)
4.) M6x12mm Button Head cap screws (to attach the controller to the Y-axis rail)
5.) These same machines shipped with the wrong limit switch kits. The kits that shipped with these units are for the standard Shapeoko 3 and are too short to work correctly on the larger sized machines.

Resolution:
Stepper cable wiring extensions, M5 and M6 hardware will be shipped with overnight service immediately (today, 4/21/2016) if they have not already been.

Drag Chain Brackets and Hardware - we are waiting for these to be delivered from our vendor. They have been expedited and are due in our shop any day. As soon as these are delivered here, we will pack them up and ship them to you, along with mounting feet and the missing M5x16ASAP.

Limit switch kits - because of an internal oversight, we do not currently have the correct lenght limit switch wires. We are putting all of our efforts into correcting this issue and expediting the process of getting these made. We do not have an estimated time of delivery for these wires as of today, but can promise you that as soon as they are delivered, we will ship them out to you. We will keep you updated with any information regarding expected delivery date of the limit switch lengths.

XL Kits Shipped on 4/12
1.) M5x16mm Button Head Cap Screws (2pcs) - (to attach the spindle mount ot the z-axis plate)
2.) Drag chain mounting brackets and associated hardware (for both the X and Y axis)
3.) The kits did not ship with limit switch kits.

Resolution:
Drag Chain Brackets and Hardware - we are waiting for these to be delivered from our vendor. They have been expedited and are due in our shop any day. As soon as these are delivered here, we will pack them up and ship them to you, along with the missing M5x16ASAP.

Limit switch kits - because of an internal oversight, we do not currently have the correct lenght limit switch wires. We are putting all of our efforts into correcting this issue and expediting the process of getting these made. We do not have an estimated time of delivery for these wires as of today, but can promise you that as soon as they are delivered, we will ship them out to you. We will keep you updated with any information regarding expected delivery date of the limit switch lengths.

XL Kits Shipped on 4/18

1.) Drag chain mounting brackets and associated hardware (for both the X and Y axis)
2.) Mounting Feet
3.) The kits did not ship with limit switch kits.

Resolution:

Drag Chain Brackets and Hardware - we are waiting for these to be delivered from our vendor. They have been expedited and are due in our shop any day. As soon as these are delivered here, we will pack them up and ship them to you, along with mounting feet and the missing M5x16ASAP.

Current XXL Shipping Status

Adding insult to injury, the power supplies we had on order were caught up in customs for about a week. So, instead of being here early this week, and available for us to pre-pack, they will not arrive until Monday. We knew we were cutting it close, but were confident they would arrive in time. The best made plans…

The good news is that we were not completely out of Power Supplies, so we can still ship a good chunk of the XXL machines. As of right now we are planning to ship all DOMESTIC XXL machines ordered from: 2/24 - 3/22

These units will be picked up on Friday afternoon (4/22), and you will receive an email with tracking information when the labels are printed (probably that morning). These units will not have Limit Switch Kits, but like the rest we will overnight them once we have them. The drag chain brackets should be delivered by the time we ship Friday, and as long as they are here, we will ship them with the machines. Otherwise, they will ship separate as well.

For orders placed after 3/22 - we’ll continue shipping XXLs next week once our power supplies arrive. If the power supplies are received monday/tuesday then we can probably get to all XXL orders through the middle of April. I’ll update this thread as the week progresses.

International Orders:
We are holding international orders until all parts have been delivered to us and we can ensure that a full kit is being delivered.

Upgrade Kits:
I’m expecting that these will begin shipping late next week as well, first with the XL then with the XXL machines. I will have a better idea of this Friday afternoon after we’ve shipped the XXL full kits for the week.

2 Likes

Mr. Ford,
Thanks so much for the update. I am so glad to hear that my pessimistic back of napkin ETA was so completely wrong. I think I’ll go outside and do a little happy dance with my dogs.
Yay!

Edward… the Carbide Motion software doesn’t recognize that the machine has limit switches. What do we need to do to change that?? Thanks.

For those who are concerned about not having the the correct limit switches (cables), you can run the machine without them just fine until they come.

Homing can be enabled through the new ‘settings’ menu in Carbide Motion v357.

Clicking the ‘false’ next to ‘Shapeoko Has Homing’ will toggle the value to true.

Notice the Table X and Table Y settings are for the XL size machine.

I’m hoping to have the first draft of our much anticipated assembly guide released later today. I’ll be sure to include this information as well.

Thanks,
Edward

1 Like

As promised, got the Fedex tracking number this morning for my 2/29 order. Looking forward to it showing up on the FedEx site so I can get a delivery date. Guess I will be forced to clear some shop space this weekend!

1 Like

Have fun! Jealous…

1 Like

rwizard !

Some good news?
Share pics

Peace !

@edwardrford any updates on the first draft of the assembly instructions?

2 Likes