SO5 Pro 4x2 stops moving seconds into a job

My SO5 Pro 4x2 stops randomly at the beginning of a cut/project. The spindle keeps spinning, but the machine doesn’t move through the toolpaths. It seems like it is paused, but the Carbide Motion doesn’t show it paused.

Process:

• I turn on my laptop and connect to the SO5

• I turn on the SO5 controller

• I turn on the VFD

• I start Carbide Motion v579

• A couple times, I’ve seen a pop-up that says “reply from auth command is not the correct length”

• I connect to the machine

• I initialize the machine

• The machine finds and touches the BitSetter

• I load a new file

• I jog to the BitZero

• I probe the BitZero on the stock piece of wood

• I go to Run on Carbide Motion

• I select Start

• The machine asks for a tool change

• I change the tool and select OK and it goes to the BitSetter

• The VFD and spindle start up and the machine goes to the starting point of the stock piece of wood

• next is where I continuously get the problem

• The spindle/cutter goes over to the starting point, lowers to the wood, and carves for anywhere from 5 seconds to around 30 seconds then stops moving and just sits there with the spindle still spinning. Other times it just goes to the wood, the spindle/cutter goes down to the wood to start, and just sits there with the spindle still spinning. It feels like the machine just paused, but the CM doesn’t show the machine paused…still running. I’ve let it sit for 15 minutes, but it still doesn’t move through the toolpaths.

I’ve tried different files, I’ve tried a different laptop. No change. Pauses motion randomly at the start of a cut/toolpath.

Questions:
 Any idea why it just sits there right at the beginning of the cut?
 What is the “reply from auth command is not the correct length” message I’ve seen?
 My file in Carbide Create says the bit I’ve chosen will spin at 18,000 rpm; when I load the file into CM it shows it will run at 18,000 rpm; however, when the carving starts, I see the VFD running at 16,620. Is that an issue?

My Setup:
• I have a SO5 Pro 4x2, with VFD and Bit Zero 2 (new SO5 version).
• I’m on a Windows 11 laptop with tons of ram and processing power
• I deleted and reinstalled Carbide Motion v579
• The Settings correctly show the BitZero, BitSetter, and configuration sent to the SO5 Pro 4x2
• The SO5 Pro 4x2 goes through all initializations OK; finds the BitSetter OK; finds the BitZero OK; jogs to all areas of the bed OK; the power pendent appears to be working OK (the pause button and Stop button were tested and work OK; no crimped wires that I can find, or any wires moving when starting the cut (I can jog everywhere on the machine and it doesn’t stop moving).

Seems like it just works for a few seconds and stops working the toolpaths. Again, it has cut for 5 seconds then stopped moving…it has cut for 30 seconds and stopped moving…it has gone to the start of the toolpath and stopped cutting.

Thoughts on a fix?

Let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll get the folks who are working w/ SO5 Pros to sort this out w/ you.

Thank you. I just sent the support team the same info. I haven’t seen/had this issue on my SO4, so it appears to be the SO5.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.