Some Christmas Carvings

Happy Holidays all!

I figured I should share two of the projects I have worked on for this holiday season.

The first one was a commission of Japan made from cherry and epoxy. It is 22 inches tall by 10.5 inches wide. Tool paths were done with a 2 flute 1/4 inch bit, a 90 deg V bit, and a 1/8 inch tapered ball nose for finishing. In total it took about 4 hours of carving, with about 1.5 hours of other finishing work.

The second is the Christmas present for my Dad. It is a carving of Desolation Sound and the surrounding islands. It is made from walnut and epoxy. It is 17 inches tall by 27 inches wide, with the tallest peak being about .75 inches above the sea level. Tool paths were done with a 2 flute 1/4 inch bit, 60 deg V bit, and a 1/8 inch tapered ball nose for finishing. It took roughly 14 hours of carving and then 2 hours of additional prep and finish work.

I can try to answer any question. Hope everyone has a happy and safe holiday season.

12 Likes

Very nice work, thanks for sharing. What process/software did you use for the creating the terrain toolpaths? what stepover did you use for the finishing pass with the tapered endmill ?

2 Likes

Thanks Julien.

I got the models from Terrain2STL (before the size changes for the Japan one) and then tool pathed them in VCarve Pro. The integral frame was made using the Chamfer tool path in the software as well. Because I hate sanding topographical features I was using a 5% stepover on the finishing passes. I could probably get away with 10% in the future. I was removing around .04 inches of left over material most of the time and moving at 200 inches a minute at ~18000 rpm

3 Likes