Some diamond drag work

Some of my best work with ddb to date pics do not do it justuce

Done in granite 10mm slabs with 120deg ddb

And this is on a mirror 120deg bit

All had a .222mm stepover

Jon

17 Likes

They came out nice. I also used the same granite tile to make a trivet this week.

15 Likes

That is nice the photos are so hard to take to make them pop!

Yes parallax is an issue, it shows the frame and the table behind and not perfectly centered, not to mention reflection on these shinny pieces. Not award winning photography but it shows the project.

Where do you get the granite tile/slabs from?

1 Like

I get mine at Home Depot in the flooring department

3 Likes

Could you post what DD Bit you are using and a source?
And, if you would - can you give the settings used on the granite, for example.

I tried to DD an old style kitchen/bath tile and I was lucky to get a few scratches on it. I did much better in some lucite. My bit is a spring style, not adjustable, and a cheap item just to start learning some of the techniques.

In the UK I got them cheap at a stor called charlies

1 Like

Sure thing I will reply tomorrow once in workshop

This is mine avaialable on E-bay.

DD bits will not do well on porcelain tiles as they are too hard for the bit to make much of scratch on it. I have done mirrors, slate, granite with good results.

Ok mine came from Drag Bit I live in the UK so it was a bit expensive to import :frowning: but well worth it and it was recommended by so manny people. I got the 120Deg and 90Deg drag bits but so far only used 120 drag

As for the cutting parameters here you go

did mine in vetrix pro

As always happy to help if you need anything else.

Jon

1 Like

Been thinking about getting one of these to engrave parts. How do these work with the standard Carbide software products (Carbide Create)? Are there special setup parameters when working with CC? That is, do you setup as a pocketing or texturing operation? Thanks

I am sure there are more advanced users on CC than me i left it a while back, however i see no reason that you can not do what i did with CC and all you need to do is make sure the spindle does not turn on, and i think in order to get the pressure on the drag bit you either use the normal depth of cut or that and a coimbination of that and offset. But you can defo use CC to achieve this, i just went onto Fusion 360 and Vetric vcarve pro.

did a quick search this topic goes full tilit into it lol enjoy :slight_smile: Drag Bit Discussion

Jon

4 Likes

I am the same, I use VCarve for that kind of work, it has the capabilities built-in but you can use CC to engrave. It has the ability to automatically fill the letters with a chosen hash or crosshatch pattern.

As Jon said,

1. Insert the bit in the collet of your router but do not turn it on;
  2. You need to apply force on the drag bit (with a spring loaded holder), the pressure is the depth of cut. I suggest you use .1in.
  3. To fill the letters or pattern, you can pocket the hatch by selecting the stepover, that will set the space between the lines and the direction of your fill pattern.
  4. You may also want to also create a contour pass to clearly define your text or pattern.
  5. Do no use the probe to set your zero, (it is not conductive) use the paper method.
  6. Use a bit of water to lubricate the bit, I use a spray bottle and cover the surface I want to engrave with a thin coat and if this is a long engrave, spray some more as the water evaporates.

Happy engraving.

3 Likes

Here is a test piece I did on a 12" x 12" Absolute Black granite floor tile.

It shows how different hatch pitches change the look of the filled in area. I believe I used a 90deg tip and 0.10" plunge for this.

1 Like

Thanks, LUC, I’ve set a bookmark on that source.
Reply greatly appreciated.

JON, Thanks for the graphic for your settings. I see that you used the Quick Engrave and I think I just found where I went wrong on trying to engrave a “Queen Anne’s Lace” pattern as I just chose the regular Engrave option. I believe I hit the Quick Engrave on another piece and it ran quickly. On the regular Engrave option the QA Lace took a very, very long time to engrave - and CM choked on the file so I had to cut it into 3 different file paths. I guess we all learn by trying, but, the communications in the forum sure help also. Thanks, again!

Just curious how you would set up the diamond drag bit in CC?

There is some discussion at:

200ipm, 0-0.25 DOC

was noted in the Unofficial Facebook group at: Redirecting...

EDIT:

and of course @wmoy has a video:

and see:

2 Likes

Awesome! Thx Will! Like that the information is here. I don’t use facebook.