Spindle problems and or brain problems

I got a 2.2kw Air-cooled spindle and VFD … but ordered one that was 110 and not 220 and I’m guessing that’s not going to have the same amount of power.

Do I have any options? could I just buy a 220v VFD and use the spindle I already have or am I just going to have to start over?

Here is a link to the product https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-2kw-Air-cooled-spindle-motor-kit-2200w-spindle-2-2kw-110V-inverter-ER20-collet-80mm/32858722381.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.72614c4d12SNWP

The VFD if it came with the spindle would be rated for that spindle. If it’s 120v it will require twice the amperage of a 240v VFD but should give you the same output.

So I’ll need a new spindle and VFD

you need a 220v output vfd. you can find them with 110v input and 220v output. If I remember, 2.2kw is right about as big as you can go on a 110v input.

So do you think I can just get a different VFD or will I need a new spindle as well?

Are you saying you have a matched 2.2kw VFD/spindle combo that’s powered off a 110V plug?

Pretty sure 2.2kw output is the same regardless of if it’s powered by 110, 220, or 3 horses and a mule. 2200 watts is 2200 watts, what will change with lower voltage is amps, it would double.

If I’m totally misunderstanding the question please disregard.

Dan

1 Like

You should be able to use the 110v VFD you just have to have a high enough ampacity to power the VFD. I’m guessing 20 or 30 amp circuit. My 240v primary power VFD is 11 amp. As far as the output goes that will be more of a variable output at least on a analog meter to make a long explication short. But it will be 3 phase at a varying frequancy. The thing you need to know is that AC output is a very dirty signal and you either need shielding or distance from your encoder feedback to keep from having feedback errors. I used distance since shielded flex cable is very thick cable. My VFD cable is the unshielded orange cable in the photo. I have 2 water lines and a round piece of foam insulation to keep it away from the encoder feedback.

2 Likes

Seems a bit odd! But the in the ad that you bought it clearly states it is 110V and 2.2kw, and the the current draw is 8.5 amps - so that doesn’t seem to compute.

But I can’t see you ever actually pulling 2.2kw on the Shapeoko - something else would likely let go before you max out spindle power wise.

My advice - try out the unit you bought. If it clearly can’t cope with the 110V, then try and get a refund - if the ad specs prove fraudulent, just point that out to Aliexpress and you will get your money back.

2 Likes

@3DGG I’ve been taking some hefty cuts with it so it seems fine so far.

@HDRyder The spindle and VFD function they both say 110v I guess I’m confused to why there is a 220 vs 110 wouldn’t the 110v be under powered? The v-wheels would probably give out before I could test that theory though… I’m probably getting ahead of myself here.

I run the power cables away from the machine on a separate breaker just as a precaution already.

First off the spindle should not say 110v. The purpose of the VFD is to create the proper voltage and frequancy to run the spindle at the desired speed. The torque of the spindle (the ability to get to speed and hold speed under a load) has to do with the wattage ie horse power of the spindle and VFD pair. If the VFD is rated to supply 2200 watts (2.2kw) to a 2200 watt spindle your spindle will run at up to 3HP. The spindle does not care if the VFD is supplies with 120v or 240 volts as long as it get its voltage and frequancy out of the VFD at a high enough current to keep it from stalling. The voltage going into the VFD first hits a transformer to adjust the voltage up or down so the rectifier section can make the proper DC voltage level to supply the inverter section to create the variable AC frequancy. When you step up voltage to create the DC at the transformer your current drops if you step down voltage your current goes up. Thats why you need twice the amps at 120v as you do at 240v so they can create the same voltage at the same wattage on the DC bus to supply the inverter section. Hope this helps.

Well the spindle does say 110v so I’m worried right off the bat I’m guessing they just slapped whatever on the spindle.

so do you think it running under powered aka less HP because of it running on 110v VFD?

Gary,
That machine is waaaay too clean! :wink:

2 Likes

As far as the spindle goes if its rated at 2.2kw then it should be 3HP. The VFD should not affect it. If the VFD is also rated for 2.2kw or 3HP.

You keep saying its underpowered but your not listening/comprehending what I’ve said. 120V at 20A has the same power potential as 240V at 10A. Voltage X Amperage both equal 2.4 KW. Maybe you need to post pictures of the spindle and drive data plates.

As for the clean machine the pictures were taken during the rebuild (about 2 weeks worth of work) but I keep it fairly clean between uses.

sorry I didn’t pull out that data from your previous post.Guess I needed it dumbed-down more.

It should be easy enough to get a 120v 20A circuit to test this. If he were to use a common 120v 15A he would just not have access to the full torque and may trip the breaker under full load.

1 Like

Chances are he would not pull the full load amps. That would be somes serious digging into the wood.

1 Like

That was my thought so my worries are some what assuaged.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.