Spoilboard cutter setup

item

If I use a 1.25” spoilboard cutter will it be ok to use
the bit setter because the cemented carbide is on the edges not the center?

You should not use the bitsetter for this case, UNLESS the carbide rather than the center touches the bitsetter. Otherwise, if you do use the bitsetter, the machine will think the bit is higher than it really is, and whatever you set your depth-of-cut to, it will cut that much deeper.

Never use the BitSetter with a surfacing bit. The center is generally never flush with the outside cutters. The bit can either encompass the button and fail to activate it causing some major problems. It can also hit the wasteboard if it is large enough again never engaging the button.
I’d recommend removing the bolts holding the BitSetter and use something (I use 1-2-3 blocks) to keep it out of the way. Here is a few examples of bits that will cause a bad day if used in conjunction with the BitSetter.

The workaround that many folks have reported using, is placing a disc on top of the bitsetter button that is larger than the tool diameter, this way the large surfacing bit pushes on that large disc. When you do make sure the disc is present at machine initialization time too, so that its thickness is taken into account in the initial measurement.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.