Spoilboard surfacing failure

Good afternoon!

I’m trying to resurface my spoilboard for the second time. The first time I tried it would stop very early in the process and not move. The machine would have to be shut off and I’d have to reconnect to the machine. This happened 4 times the first go at it. I ended up changing the design to two squares and that worked just fine.

Now I’ve redesigned the cut. Here are some specs of what I’m doing.
Spoilboard: 3/4” MDF
Board size: 13.75” x 24”
Bit: Whiteside 6210 1” diameter
Speed: 15,000 rpm
Feed: 100 in.
Plunge: 8”
Max depth: 1/16

Even with the redesign it is still failing early. And it only seems to happen on the right portion of the board. Not the left.
I uploaded a photo for reference as well. Thanks everyone!

Is the machine mechanically doing something to interfere with the connection? (say a dust hose bumping into the USB cable?)

If that’s not it, it’s an EMI disconnect — let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to work through this with you.

1 Like

Soft limits are being detected. (IMO)

2 Likes

I don’t believe so, but I’ll run it again and check all connections as it’s running. I’ll also be sure to submit the same to support@ with a link to this thread. Thank you!

Perhaps…but, it is what causes my waste board resurfacing program to stop mid program… (ref: look ahead)

Thank you! What are soft limits haha? And how do I find them?

Reader’s Digest version: It’s when you are asking to machine to travel to a location outside of its safe area, and during the read ahead it sees it and halts the machine.

EDIT: It can be in ANY axis, but prob X and Y. I would change ONE of the sizes (X OR Y) and try again.

1 Like

They are enabled in Grbl and are disabled by default, see:

1 Like

Awesome I’ll take a look at this and see if it’s solves it. I did notice something strange when I looked at the preview for the tool path though. I know it’s not exact and that it varies, but it’s not cutting on the right side.

Please send that file in to us at support@carbide3d.com

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.