Squaring up part to machine

Ive been using my machine for a few years with really good results. But the best way for me to line up stock etc is to cut the profile of the object into the spoil board then like the stock up to the profile and screw it down. Is there better ways to do this then what im doing? I mention this because i would like to go to a spoil board with threaded holes or slots.

You can make one of these for around $40-$50 in materials. Use there plans or design your own with your desired inserts.
You can then mill your own clamps.

Can be done in an afternoon easy,
Just make sure you have a nice comfortable Allen Wrench for tightening them all down or an insert for a drill.

You could then make a simple fence for x/y axis that will be raised from spoilboard.
Many clamping options available. to buy or MAKE

1 Like

What i am looking for are better ways to square up stock to the head. Clamping is pretty easy. If I say put a square piece of stock on the bed theres no way to know that the edge is parallel to the cutter. This is especially difficult when I need to do a second, third, or fourth setup on a part. These parts end up less square as i go. Thats why i have relied on spoilboard profiles so much.

Something like this.

If using the machine to run your holes in wasteboard they will be parallel to the cutter. As long as your machine is square and true.
You attach the fence to the wasteboard via the holes you drilled with the CNC.

You can set one for both x and y, seprately or as one unit.

Are you using a probe for your Zeroing?

1 Like

I just milled a few extra 1/4” holes in my wasteboard along the front along X, then a few more at the left hand side along Y. I bought some 1/4” diameter 3/4” long steel dowel pins from McMaster Carr. Drop some pins in, align my edges, clamp, then remove the pins so a stray end mill doesn’t hit them.

Dan

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.