Steel plate - sink or swim

Thanks @cgallery

Honestly could probably get away with a dry air stream right now, there really isn’t any heat. Chips are silver and small, exactly like glitter

For cutting ferrous metals — has anyone ever worked up a track system which uses magnets to pickup the chips and then deposit them elsewhere?

1 Like

That would be a sight to see! If anything the aluminum cutting needs it more, next parts have 90% metal removal at 14lbs.

With my brush guard chips just get swept to the side without issues.

Nomnomnomnom. Time to mill out a second bracket and then cut the soft fixture plate for backside 3d machining and roughing

2 Likes

Where do you source the mitee bite gizmos from?

I’m putting together an aluminum “spoil” board, they look handy.

@Griff Amazon sir, best price I could find. They have all kinds depending on bolt.

Speed Update

Now roughing at 13krpm, 55ipm, 0.030 opt, 0.030 doc. Still has a bit more in it! Basically started out as a 5 hour cut, now down to 60 min, bet we can sub 55

3 Likes

Amazon. Haha, that’s too funny. I looked at their website, very industrial/engineering oriented, saw that the did not sell direct but, rather, through reps. So I ASSumed I’d have to find an industrial supplier.

Admire your work BTW. Nothing like what you’re doing but I wrenched on a few cars. Committed sacrilege when I pulled the small block out of my 56 Chevy and dropped in a hemi.

2 Likes

They are, but they’re also frightfully expensive for what they are.

They are expensive and if you have the time on your hands they have all the cad drawings available and you can make your own.

My customer partially paid for these in a consumable fee. We just billed out $3k on his car and each piece uses the mitee bites for fixturing.

Each time getting better

3 Likes

Indeed Mike, indeed. I’ll be sticking with blue tape and epoxy for my modest needs! (No pun intended)

2 Likes

@Griff Hey blue tape and superglue is how I setup lots of stuff!

Wrenching is fun and really makes for a good creative outlet! Speaking of engine swaps we’ll probably be doing billet 2jz mounts for a Honda S2000 on the s3 soon.

1 Like

HTS uses a round puck with an offset ground screw head for the same sort of cam action, they look easy to make (I have some for my nomad) but they were cheap enough not to be worth the effort to do myself. The cam clamps run about $2 each from them. They’re aluminum, they’re not fancy, but they work well.

http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/pt_work_holding_system.html

Abracadabra B!

3 Likes

Testing out a photo light box at work, love the way steel looks. Might cut a test part in aluminum and try to get the part alignment a little better.

4 Likes

Alban threw down some beautiful welds on the parts and thin chromoly, I’m in process of designing and machining the engine mount threaded 3d brackets. Hot rolled is gross but I’ll do a hot vinegar dip in the ultrasonic then finish the surface before machining. Probably a fixture and run of 3 or 4. Don’t be scared by the highly technical drawerings

This first batch will be two bars but with the cnc its easy to create stock on demand. Helps not having a ton of money and man hours in inventory

2 Likes

Four part flip fixture for double sided machining on some cleaned hot rolled steel. These will be those sharpie brackets, hand tapped after. Decided to skip the fillets for times sake and they were only 0.0625 rad

Getting the hang of this! Didn’t even cut into the fixture plate lol. The new Z brace is working amazing! Definitely a measurable improvement… just haven’t had time to measure.

4 Likes

You are really taking things to the next level with this machine, thankyou for sharing so much :smiley:
When I get home from work I’m going to tram my XXL to within an inch of its life and get into some Aluminium!

edit - I see your Z-brace in your other thread, looks great!

1 Like

Guess you can float with enough hard work. Off to powedercoat, saved almost 5lbs off of stock part with 100% functionality

Sold two but I made two sets of billet parts to begin with because #safetynet

My business model is 100% reinvestment so…I was able to purchase Fusion 360 at a $310 locked rate with Generative design. If I don’t sleep for a few days I’ll be able to purchase a Prusa MK3 3d printer and start mixed media subtractive and additive manufacturing

3 Likes

With the 3D printer have you considered using it to make parts to make molds for casting?

2 Likes

Since the crash erased it.

17 pounds of 1018 steel stood no chance against the mitey Fireplug. Cut into two pieces with bandsaw, used holesaw with wd40 mist to predrill. Double side machined the inside and outside. Drilled and tapped o2 by hand (one day I’ll get a threadmill)

3 Likes