Stepper motor noise question SOLVED

Does that open builds board have more power, 2.5 amps?

Also have you seen Super Gerbil? Three axis for $140 and upgradeable to 5! Looks like the 4th axis box, $225, is needed for 4amp drivers. But a 4th!

https://awesome.tech/new-products-mini-gerbil-and-super-gerbil/

1 Like

Nope, same. Super Gerbil looks sweet, great for a Super User such as yourself! The expandabilty is pretty cool, just drop in 2 additional drivers.

Wouldn’t say it’s a bad idea, as long as the power supply is rated high enough (preferably 10-20% above) to cover the combined amperage. Only worry would be the spike power draw and noise the router could produce on the line.

When I swapped boards, I just used the original S3 power supply (cut, spliced, and stripped) but that would be a point of no return :slight_smile:. At first anyway, did eventually swap the PS to a Mean Well

See solution first post edit.

Were you able to cancel your xPro order @Griff?

Nope, didn’t try. I’ll eventually install it, urgency is less now.

Got a few things percolating through the old grey matter, see what we come up with.

I too have had some noise on my A axis motor. The funny thing is, that with no power to the control box, I can hand turn it. and the red light shows up on the A stepper drive controller board. If I turn it slow, it barely makes chatter noise, but if it is turned faster, it has a louder chatter. However, if I un plug the stepper motor, and then turn it, it spins easily and without noise.

Turning the motor by hand causes it to act as a generator, resulting in the lights, and the chatter as impulses are generated by the current being sent to the stepper driver.

1 Like

that makes sense. I did that because when I was running the axis, it had chatter, but now im thinking it may have been because my velocity was turned up too much in motor tuning. I turned down the velocity and am fixing to go try it. hope this works.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.