Stepper motor problems

(Anthony Palmariello) #1

Hi
i am having a problem with my x axis.
Running a project midway thru x axis stopped working. Disconnected the harness and reconnected homed fine ran same project again almost finished x axis stopped working.
Disabled homing, switched x and z harness connections and once again all worked good enabled homing got it homed but now I’m wondering if it is a bad stepper motor. Any thoughts out there I’m afraid to run another project at this moment.

0 Likes

(Neil Ferreri) #2

It’d be rare for a stepper motor to go bad, and usually when the drivers go, it’s all or nothing. When it stops working, what happens? Any chance it’s mechanical? Loose pulley on the X stepper?

1 Like

(Luc) #3

Would this happen if the wrong machine type XL or XXL vs regular be identified in the software? It may think the coordinates are outside the working envelope then stops.

1 Like

(Anthony Palmariello) #4

Hi thanks it just stops like it seized up I ran 1 more project today came out fine ran 2nd project today and stopped again halfway thru

0 Likes

(William Adams (Carbide 3D)) #5

Usually random issues are wiring problems — please check all the connectors and connections. If you don’t find anything to fix / address let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to help.

1 Like

(Ummm, not sure, but I’ll try...) #6

I had the same problem. For me it turned out to be high resistance in the Molex connector used to extend the wire for my right X stepper motor for my XL upgrade. I just cut the connector out and soldered/insulated the wires.

0 Likes