Stepper motor problems

Hi
i am having a problem with my x axis.
Running a project midway thru x axis stopped working. Disconnected the harness and reconnected homed fine ran same project again almost finished x axis stopped working.
Disabled homing, switched x and z harness connections and once again all worked good enabled homing got it homed but now I’m wondering if it is a bad stepper motor. Any thoughts out there I’m afraid to run another project at this moment.

It’d be rare for a stepper motor to go bad, and usually when the drivers go, it’s all or nothing. When it stops working, what happens? Any chance it’s mechanical? Loose pulley on the X stepper?

1 Like

Would this happen if the wrong machine type XL or XXL vs regular be identified in the software? It may think the coordinates are outside the working envelope then stops.

1 Like

Hi thanks it just stops like it seized up I ran 1 more project today came out fine ran 2nd project today and stopped again halfway thru

Usually random issues are wiring problems — please check all the connectors and connections. If you don’t find anything to fix / address let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to help.

1 Like

I had the same problem. For me it turned out to be high resistance in the Molex connector used to extend the wire for my right X stepper motor for my XL upgrade. I just cut the connector out and soldered/insulated the wires.