Superglue workholding, no tape?

Has anyone played with this? I’ve seen it on a lot of lathe videos. Heat is used to release the part.

Could have an alu base clamped down, then the workpiece glued directly on top. Once finished, remove both, torch to heat and release.

I guess the cleanup might be an issue but I’d imagine there is some solvent that will dissolve CA? Acetone?

Greg:

For CNC use I use blue painters tape and CA glue.

No solvent needed just peel the tape off.

Not sure what you are referring to that uses a torch. Not a good idea.

Bill

It does seem viable, as the strength of the glue starts to weaken at higher temps. I usually use glue/tape since I’m working with wood, and would like to have an easier clean up. Though good to be aware of incase I encounter a part in aluminium, sort of like this:

Use a torch to separate the parts (though be careful as the vapor from dissolving super glue is toxic) once machining is done.

Yeah I see how tape is needed for wood absolutely, and for metals it might simplify things, but if you’re removing it anyways you can easily heat it, it breaks around 100c (200f) so that’s not even that hot as far as metals go.

Having a torch inside your shop can be quite hazardous. As long as you have multiple fire extenguishers and are extremely careful about fire in the shop you might get away with it. Superglue is a great tool but there are a lot of different types of superglue and you do not want to pick the wrong type. Additionally there is a shelf life for superglue after opening. I use the StarBond brand glue and they recommend storing it in the refrigerator after opening until the next use. Recommend you use a marker on the side of the bottle when you open it with a date. You might be surprised how long something has been opened and the date helps you keep from using old products. My wood glues like TiteBond are supposed to last about a year after opening so I write the date opened on the side with a permanent marker.

From my experience as a firefighter, that is quite an understatement!

Maybe I’m a bit risk averse, but I wouldn’t have anything with an open flame in my workshed :scream:

I would rather use this method instead of super glue on aluminium plate.
No toxic fumes or open flames.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.