Surfacing material

Is there a way to change where your machine starts and ends cuts? Would help for when I’m cutting out small parts but also for when I try to surface something it runs it around from the center out in the pocket format. How could I get it to go back and forth down a straight line? Sorry, hopefully that makes sense. And what remote do you guys recommend for the Shapeoko pro xxl?

1 Like

This might help you.

4 Likes

There’s no way in CC to have it clear a pocket in a different pattern. The pathing you want is called raster.

As ZMan noted, the only option is to draw a sequence of lines for the bit to follow, and perform a No-Offset Contour path on that. That is usually not too bad for rectangular shapes, but for pockets of any complexity at all it’s pretty onerous.

There’s a feature request here, give it a like and maybe the developers will look into the idea.

7 Likes

Thank you I’ll give that a try

The toolpath generator capable of making rasterized paths is the 3D Finish - even has a setting for the angle of the pattern.
But you do need CC Pro to use it.

2 Likes

Hi, I have used the engrave feature a few times to create a raster path for surfacing. The tool will determine the width of the pass, and you can adjust the stepover and depth of cut to suit your needs. Adjust the angle appropriately and make sure to check “fill”. It’s worked more times than not, but occasionally it gives me trouble.

Best,
JV

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.