Sweepy Inventory

So I made a newbie mistake. I didn’t have the sweepy on firmly enough to the spindle AND I was using a Mortising bit to surface the spoilboqrd when it exploded on me. The bit must have caught the edge of the plastic and destroyed my sweepy. Looks like they are out of stock. Does anyone have dust control ideas other than manually sweeping up while the machine is running?

Do you have access to a 3D printer ?

more expensive and a it more hassle than Sweepy… but …
(there’s all kind of variations of these on ebay and etsty or you can print your own)

I have an old one that my kids used. I haven’t fired it up in years. The bottom half is the part that is damanged. The top half is fine.

Please contact us at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to work through this with you.

The community has notes on options and designs at:

https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Dust_Shoe

1 Like

More importantly, how fast was this “mortising bit” moving? :grimacing:

2 Likes

While waiting for C3D support to fix this for you, you may try and 3D-print the broken half, but as far as I am aware there is no 3D model available, so you would have to model it.
You may also consider printing one of the dust shoe designs available on thingiverse, like this one:

Good question. I have the Freud Mortising bit
Diameter: 1.25"
Flute Length: .75"
Feed rate: 70 in./min
Stepover 15%

Thank you. I hated to break it on my second run of the new machine…

One thing which I just caught — mortising bit?

Is that rated for the speeds the trim router spins it at?

Please only use tooling which is rated at the speeds and feeds you’ll be using (I prefer to only use tooling which is safe at the max. speed in case the dial slips).

1 Like

Will:

The bit is a Freud model FRE16-106. From the Freud website

Use on CNC, hand-held and table-mounted portable routers

Good question.

Bill

1 Like

I ordered a Tite-CNC dust boot from a vendor on etsy.com. I have a dewalt and the boot is 3d printed. What I like about it is he included two bases. Both are magnetically held on and one is a brush and the other is a cone over the bit. I did trim the brush to 1.5 inches long. Many complained that the Sweepy brushes were too long and too stiff. After cutting for a while with my brush I trimmed them and they were not dragging over the project so much. I think it was about $60.00. and it had a 2.5" dust port. The dewalt model uses the two screws on the bottom of the router that hold the lock button on. I dont know if he makes ones for Makita and the Carbide router.

I like it but mileage varies across users.

Thank you so much for the replacement. I really appreciate it. My love for this company is growing daily! I really appreciate all the support and am really glad I chose the Shapeoko! I couldn’t be happier!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.