T track + MDF: On top or in place of stock wasteboard?

That is a very clean work surface @sjj47 ! I really like the block under your router. I’ve been thinking about it since I saw this image and now I realize I don’t want the weight of the router on the springs when not in use.

Here is the main reason why I’m gettin rid of the T track.

We make some very deep cuts 1.5” to 2” deep. To clamp down these pieces of wood I have to use a considerable amount of force. I have had a T track actually pull up a bit towards the ends of the waste board.

This has lead to some stock coming partially loose and the slots to have a bit of a hook at one end.

it tends to be OK if I’m just doing one piece and its fastened down in the middle of the waste board.

In hind sight, I have seen one person glue and screw their T track in.

Yeah, I don’t use the CNC every day. When it is not in use I prop the router up with whatever is handy to take the weight off. All that weight on the springs can’t be good.

1 Like

If it makes you feel better; do it. Springs are springs because they are hardened after being coiled. If you find one “stretching”, then that’s a warranty replacement issue. It wasn’t made correctly.

Steven, how do you surface the MDF all the way to the back of the wasteboard?

I have an XXL with a Tee Nut threaded insert spoil board. When I made the first one I made it the full measurement of the Shapeoko Cutting Capability. I realized that when I surfaced the spoil board that the rear part of the spoilboard was not being cut and left a ridge. That was not a big deal until I was cutting a project that was longer than the bed of the Shapeoko. That made the rear of the project higher than the front which is not good. So after I got that project finished I cut the spoil board shorter in the back so I could surface all the way to the back. The Shapeoko can cut past the front rail technically so I just made sure the spoil board could be completely surfaced front to back.

I don’t. I usually work in wood, not metal. Extreme accuracy is not critical to most of my jobs and I can live with the slight inaccuracy of an unsurfaced washboard. YMMV.

When I get around to bigger jobs or pass-through jobs, I’ll take the same approach as Guy Donham describes in this thread.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.