Talk to me about adding a laser to my Shapeko

Well, its cheap for a reason so buyer beware.
That said check this out; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HicoeqAgMck&list=UUKeRRN0BZzWrmamVAQUME2Q&index=7&t=1699s

1 Like

Do you really think they (laser) is made by different little hands in China? (99.999 the same as J Tech’s Chinese Laser IMO)

True, it’s Chinese quality…that I understand…but for as much as I’m going to use it…like my Chinesium 3D Printer…it’s be more then fine…

One other thing on laser safety: fume extraction. When you cut something with a laser, it can give off some really nasty byproducts. ABS plastic for example produces hydrogen cyanide when cut, which can kill you by shutting down your respiratory system and it can cause explosions.

You should look at materials lists like this one to get an idea of which materials to cut but keep in mind that even these lists are made for laser cutters that operate inside a sealed enclosure with a filtered fume extractor taking care of the exhaust.

I’d strongly recommend that for any laser cutting, even of safe materials, you build an enclosure and direct the exhaust somewhere other than your lungs.

8 Likes

For the record, I get no commission on what looks like the TWO Orturs I just sold… MarkLince, RichCournoyer, would like to hear your experiences, though

1 Like

You mean, you own the company - so there’s no commission involved? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just got a “7W” NEJE. Need to make an easy way to connect everything, but I made a mount a couple nights ago.

I’ll try to remember to post back here if I ever get a chance to play with it.

4 Likes

That looks really cool, so that’s just the laser. I was thinking about that. In the end I opted for the Ortur Master 2 complete. My thinking is to have some sort of dual mount on and off the Shapeoko … maybe. I may need to pick your brains.

I’m not an engineer…so maybe one of you engineers will comment on the feasibility…but I wonder why no one has created a laser that mounts in the collet. The guts and diode could be external and piped into the stem on a fiber optic line…then the lens would be at the bottom of the stem. Chuck it in the collet and go. Feasible?

Jtech has one I think, a collet mounted laser I mean

I didn’t see it, for certain.

Well…there ya go! I wonder now why they don’t make this available as their Shapeoko kit

I think it might be a z travel thing, not sure.

Yup. After my first, router-replacing, test design, I read the description and realized the focal range is only like 10mm. There’s no controller or “test module” with the laser I got. I’ll have to figure out how to focus it.

This was my test mount. The clamping one in my previous post is the one I’ll actually use (I think… Haven’t tried the laser other than just proving that it works)

I built a little drawing robot and attached a laser to it, but the SO3 is so much more rigid.

1 Like

Here is a mount I designed and printed for my spindle that I can easily slip on and off. I don’t like having the permanently mounted one, it seems to get in the way.

The ring is tight and has a gap in the back to slip around the connector and hoses.

7 Likes

I have a k40 CO2 laser that was mentioned. It’s a great little laser that can cut through up to around 6mm plywood or acrylic. For what it is I can’t fault it, but the bed is only 8x12", with no way to tile, or fit anything bigger than the bed.

If you’re only interested in laser engraving things, I’d definitely recommend the j-tech option or similar.
If you want to cut small objects like keyrings, plaques, coasters etc then the k40 is a great option, I have paid it off several times over in 6months or so, and I don’t even run a business

2 Likes

Ok, will do…it should arrive in a few months…

1 Like

Here’s the NEJE laser mount design files if anyone else wants to go down that road.
Pic is a link:

6 Likes

@neilferreri Whats your take on this https://uk.gearbest.com/laser-module/pp_009558584217.html

I haven’t received my new Ortur Master 2 yet and I’m already looking at bigger. This says its 15W output but it does not give any input figures so I don’t know.

I don’t have much opinion other than I don’t believe the output.
I’m just a couple steps ahead of you because I got a laser a week ago. I haven’t had time to properly test it. I don’t think any of these things will cut much… You’d want a CO2 laser for that.
I also don’t have a good way to ventilate, so I’ll have to think about that as well.
What are you planning on doing with your future last assortment?

I’m using a 20 Watt version that looks the same as yours. It has 4 pins connector on its top end. Here is how I have mine connected:
Pin 1 - Connected to +12V Power Supply
Pin 2 - Connected to Ground/Power Supply
Pin 3 - Connected to PWM pin on the C3D board
Pin 4 - Connected to Ground on the C3D board.
I hope this helps. If you need pictures, please let me know.

2 Likes