The Definitive Carbide 3D Cribbage Kit Post

Right on Maurice. Thanks for jumping in.
One thing, downloading and Importing the .dxf resulted in an import of tiny proportions. The lower left corner is the size which originally imported. For reference the stock pictured is 12"x6". By scaling the .dxf it gets quite distorted.
Can you post a larger DXF or SVG?

1 Like

Hi,

I’ve looked but don’t see the settings you mentioned were attached in photo form.

Ah Yes, forgot to attach them. Look above momentarily

I updated my post to include the SVG file. Also attached it below. If you right click and save, it will download the entire SVG file. Original size of the drawing for is 4.875"x12.638"

3 Player Cribbage Board Design

Unsure why my Fusion360 generated DXF didn’t import correctly into CC. Kevin, I’ll send you a PM to figure out a use case on this. All my other software’s imported the original file correctly, Xtool Creative Space and Adobe Illustrator.

Just wanted to share my results of my very first cribbage board! I used the basic 3 player board file that Kevin attached but modified the layout of the holes in the 180 degree turns to be more circular and symetrical. I did not change the toolpath settings which called for the 1/8" endmill and not the drill bit. The hole diameters work out well with the metal pins from the kit. They have a tiny bit of play but slide in and out of the holes nicely. That reminds me, the hole diameters in the file on the first 180 degree turn were sized slightly smaller than the rest of the holes in the board. I updated those in my file as well. Thanks @KevBarn14 for posting this thread!

3 Likes

Nice!

But, please see:

1 Like

Nice job with the full 180 turn at the top. That looks much smoother than my version.
Good catch on the holes at the top being smaller as well. I must have missed that in the update as I was moving parts around.
Both the 2-Player and 3-Player Board Designs have been updated to correct the hole size issues.
Thank you to @CheckMarkFabs for catching that problem.

I love the interaction here for Cribbage Builds.
Question for everyone viewing:
What other types of projects would benefit from a collaborative thread?

I have enjoyed this thread. I like the cribbage boards from simple to OMG that’s beautiful. Both styles are works of art.

If you continue, how about games. Monopoly, Chinese Checkers, board types of games, heck why not Chutes and Ladders. A 3d Monopoly would be WOW. Or a simple Chinese Checkers with holes for those that don’t have 3D. It is a lesson in presentation for each artist to share with everyone.

Thanks Kevin

1 Like

I did do Chinese Checkers at:

and a DXF could be exported from OpenSCAD to use in Carbide Create, and w/ a suitable size for the circles, and a suitable size for a ball-nosed tool could work either as a drill toolpath or pocket.

1 Like

Michael,

Excellent suggestions. You’ve hit on one that I already have on the drawing board.

1 Like

I too love cribbage boards
especially with multiple steps in the process to complicate things :stuck_out_tongue:

but anyways before we all move on, we should chat about peg storage. There are lots of options out there. what do people prefer? I’m sure I can dig up the file for this pocket. It was heavily inspired from @MadHatter after a side chat we had a while back.
9aa07e375ec847d9a357434dc32a806c (1)

5 Likes

I made this one a little while ago. Added magnets to a cover so I can create custom inlays as well. Base is Walnut and cover is Hard Maple with a walnut inlay.

6 Likes

Yes. I love all things that light up or use magnets. Part of the beauty of owning a CNC is creating matching magnet locations.
From a cribbage build I just put together with the same concepts as above: Carbide 3D on Instagram

1 Like

I did see that one when you posted it, I really like how tight the pegs fit in, mine they rattle around too much.

1 Like

Too much precision is both a gift and a curse.

1 Like

I love that inlay. My attempts last year were failures and I got distracted on other things. I really need to get back to it.

I was trying walnut base with maple inlay and losing the finer detail in the maple. Maybe I should try the other way. To be fair, my earlier attempts were before the inlay mode was added to CC.

I’m working on my most recent cribbage design - I’ll post once I have actually carved something!

Question for the magnet users - do you use Carbide Create to get the magnet holes on the back of the inlay? If so, how do you manage it? I’m having trouble getting my wood to line up because of the obvious problem of turning over the wood… is this just something that needs a different program or am I missing something?

See:

Or use this setup. I use it on the regular, including yesterday.

The whole process is about knowing where your part is in space relative to your zero point in the software and on the machine. Once you get this down, you’ll find it’s easy and super useful.

• Kevin
2 Likes