The right endmill for the job

so im making a pocket around a series of words and while there are definitely places where i need the 1/8" to do fine detail i would think it would be faster for the larger areas to use something larger like a 1/4".
is there an “easy” way to do the large area in on endmill and the detail in a smaller?

thanks

This is known as “Rest Machining” — Carbide Create doesn’t have support for this — you can manage it using offsets, or, use a V endmill and Advanced V carving and Pocket Clearing.

Didn’t I see where you created an outline around the words to run a smaller bit, then run a larger bit to take out the rest?

That’s a rather brute-force way to do it.

I have done that before and had good results. It is even easier with the bitsetter. I would mill out the entire pocket and lettering with a 1/4" bit, then step down to a bit that is no less than half the diameter of the previous one, so no smaller than a 1/8" bit, and then just do an outline of the letters (where you want that extra detail) as well as the pockets inside the letters. Then, if you still need more detail, you can do it again with a 1/16" bit.

I work at the smaller scale, so for me, It’s 1/8" → 1/16" → 1/32" bits to get the really sharp detail.

I too work on a smaller scale from time to time. I have used a 20-degree Vbit to get smaller results.

2 Likes

I use v-bits for some stuff, but I really like the straight wall pockets for some applications. So I just work my way down in size until I get to the detail I am happy with.

Depending how small or shallow depth, a 20 degree can give an appearance of straight wall.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.