There has got to be an easier way

Here is what I am working on.

I have individual balls brought in and trimming out the lines crossing over to show balls behind other balls in CC. I try to union the graphics but still end up with open vectors. drawing a poly line connecting the ends together works for some parts but not others.

I have even tried Node Edit with no success.

Do I have to trace the whole open vector graphic line by line? There has to be a better way. Am I missing something?

Bennett - 3.c2d (452 KB)

Looks like yopu need to ungroup things, then use Boolean Subtract.

I worked on the football / football overlap. I ungrouped both, then for each piece of geometry in the Soccer ball that should be behind the Handegg, I selected that piece plus only the outline of the Handegg ball, then boolean subtract. Check ‘Keep Original Vectors’, then delete the piece from the Soccer ball that you don’t need.

Bennett - 3.c2d (456 KB)

1 Like

Bennett - 3.c2d (456 KB)

Which ball do you want to have in front?

A noted you would need to Boolean subtract the elements which are supposed to be in front from those which are behind.

Depending on how you are cutting things out, it would also be necessary to Boolean union some outlines.

You may find the Trim Vectors tool useful as well.

Do you have the original graphic as an SVG which shows the layering clearly?

See:

for a bit on this sort of thing.

Top ball to the back, bottom to the front.

It’s late, I’ll get into this further tomorrow.

Thanks all!

Here’s a version that was cut slightly differently, I think the vectors for this one are better suited for CAD work.
Bennett - 3(1).c2d (448 KB)

You should experiment with both versions, it’s the difference between cutting each vector one at a time, or cutting all the vectors in the rearmost ball all at once.

1 Like

Your post worked to perfection as far as I can tell.

One thing I found strange is when selecting the outer line for the ball in front when clicking the Boolean subtract that line was removed as well. My fix for this was to copy the line make the subtract and then paste it back in. Is that the way it is supposed to be? It worked for me.

I have corrected the Golf ball to be in front of Football.

Thank you all for the assistance.

Now I can further my skills in custom graphics. Cool! :sunglasses:

???
I’m so confused…

I thought, hey, the graphic is all set and went to create a v carve tool path for engraving and got this result.

What is going on?

Adjacent areas are merged when doing operations — If you wish to do only lines, you will need to structure the geometry so that you can make discrete selections to which the desired operations can be applied.

Everything after this line… WHAT?

If the lines are black, this indicates vectors are closed, yes? How are the cuts bleeding into each other?

For me visuals are best used for me to get what you are saying.

Please post the original SVG and we’ll walk through this w/ you.

Each ball is an individual SVG. Is this what you are asking for?

I posted a second version where the cuts happened a bit differently, try that one instead. If it produces (mostly) what you want, I’ll walk through the process for that one so you can finish the balls I didn’t do.

Yes, all the balls as SVGs — we’ll re-create it in an SVG drawing program which will make things more obvious.

Here is how to do this working from the first file you posted:

Basically you need to break all the lines up and then join them together so that that create solid areas which define where you would cut:

Draw in geometry which will allow breaking up areas which need to be joined:

Select geometry which overlaps:

and use the Trim Vectors tool to remove all lines which one doesn’t want:

then clean up and use the Join Vectors to make closed paths:

and if you missed lines, draw in geometry and remove them as well:

Until one arrives at:

which previews as:

Alternately, by offsetting the outermost geometry of the balls:

Alternately, you could do a V carve on the bottom of the Advanced V carving pocket:

Attached as a v7 file:

Bennett - 3_no_overlap.c2d (484 KB)

2 Likes

Another method. This one does NOT combine adjacent balls together.

• Start with the ball that is closest to the front. Ungroup it.
  • Select a ball that it overlaps. Select the ENTIRE group for that ball.
  • Now select the vector(s) in the front ball that define the outline of the ball. In this case, each ball has one vector that outlines it.
  • Boolean Subtract, Keep original Vectors (so you don’t loose the ball outline), delete the original ball that was behind. This also will Ungroup the overlapped ball.
  • Repeat, moving ‘backwards’ in the image.

So, no node editing, but adjacent balls are NOT combined into one larger object.

Here’s the simulation for a V Carve (not advanced):

Seeing the picture of the Boolean surrounding the outline of the ball grouping made me try that and then try the engraving toolpath. That worked. I just needed a visual. Thanks!

Technically there were two solutions in this post that helped achieve the result I was looking for, mhotchin for the Boolean subtract and Will Adams for the second half of the puzzle with the Boolean surrounding the Ball group as a whole.

Thank you, guys!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.