Third-party VFD spindle won't spin up at all

@Gerry is spot on. The spindle on/off in CM is not yet updated (last time I checked) to do more than 1000RPM (which is consistent with $30 default value, but NOT with $30 modified to 24000 as you probably did)

That said, if you run any gcode as an air job, it should work, if you don’t like playing with the MDI

I’m gonna go try this. FYI…I’m kinda new to the whole troubleshooting process. I don’t know what actions I have taken that are relevant to my case.

1 Like

Tried the MDI trick as per Gerry. Still no spindle activity.
Ran an air-job. Spindle carriage went thru the motions but still no spindle.

With the VFD unplugged, but the Shapeoko turned on and sending M3S24000 command, can you check the voltage at the VFD terminals between PWM and GND ? It should be close to 5V after M3, and close to 0V after M5.

If this is not the case, somehow the PWM signal does not make it from the Shapeoko controller to the VFD input (wiring issue somewhere between the Shapeoko and the VFD). Like @Gerry said maybe tell us where you picked up the PWM on the Shapeoko controller side too.

If the PWM signal does make it to the VFD, and the VI/VR jumper is on “VI” position, then it’s a VFD setting issue (especially considering the VFD does work in manual mode)…I’m afraid you would have to review them again (sometimes, doing a factory reset and re-applying the chances is a go thing rule out the case where you would have modified a parameter that you shouldn’t and then forgot about it) or list the values you used here, for someone to (hopefully) spot an incorrect value.

At the risk of looking stupid (again), what is PWM?

Pulse Width Modulation

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/pulse-width-modulation/all

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.