"This Side Up" and "Fragile" on the box? Please?

WooHoo! My Nomad 883 Pro arrived! 13 weeks, to the day, from order to arrival.

I was reading - awaiting the Nomad arrival - and I started to hear this thunk, thunk, thunk sound outside. Our apartment has a few stairs to go up and I’m saying to myself “Oh…No!” I go outside and, sure enough, the UPS guy is rolling the Nomad box up the stairs! :cold_sweat:

Could you please place “This Side Up” and “Fragile” on the box? Two lifting handle indentations would be nice too. :smiling_imp:

The Nomad box is fine and, so far, the Nomad looks fine - the packing is superb. It had a pretty good cold soaking so I’m letting it temperature stabilize before I start to check it out closely.

mark

3 Likes

Too much time on the boards, and not enough with the machine :wink:

Congrats!!! I know you have been chomping at the bit to get your hands on it :smile:

Let me remind you that a while back, I issued a challenge to Apollo - I called his Knight and raised him a Rook.

Perhaps you’d like to call my rook and raise me?

Excited to see what you come up with!!

Two lifting handle indentations

I feel like the cardboard will rip if you tried using any such thing. Even if you reinforce the handle, the bottom of the box might rip.

So did you lift with a friend like the instructions recommended or did you one-man-army it to your garage?

You’ve seen this pic from another thread but I’ll add this here since it’s relevant

For those of us that remember, 19 and 21 inch CRT monitors weighed about 50-60 pounds and came in boxes remarkably like the Nomad’s. They all have two indented flaps, reinforced, that could be pushed in and use as handles. It was then easy for two people - or a gorilla - to lift the box. The two handle holes were typically about 6-8 inches down the sides of the box, opposite each other.

I checked the tape on the bottom… it seems to be the stuff rated for more than 100 pounds. You’re correct that the bottom tape/staples would need to be done right… but it’s been done before and in huge volumes. An easy to solve problem.

So did you lift with a friend like the instructions recommended or did you one-man-army it to your garage?

As I indicated, my apartment is up a few stairs. Never had a piece of equipment rolled up the stairs before…

The UPS guy brought it to the door - he wouldn’t let me help - and my wife and brought it in. After letting it temperature stabilize for a few hours - that avoids condensation - we opened the box and carried it to the steel frame desk it now sits on.

mark

I have some ideas for some figures… but it will be a while before I can get to them.

I have the replacement bed and LED bars to install. @patafoto and I have been working on a dust head and I have to make that first; probably a few prototypes to get right. Looking into @Randy style LED rings… which means some rewriting of the machine.

I’m working on a Nomad post for SharpCAM. I have a BobCAD-CAM post being developed for the Nomad via my BobCAD-CAM support agreement. I’ll have to test those completely before I do any serious work with them.

I’ve used MeshCAM in the past and am in the process of refamilarizing myself with it.

Once the machine is set up to my satisfaction, I said I would do a zeroing tutorial. Then I can take up a challenge.

Oh, I’ve also got a PocketNC arriving shortly and I have to do a 5 axis post for that too… and test it… and qualify it.

No, I’m not busy… but loving it :joy:

mark

P.S.

This may surprise some but I run my machines pretty hard. Before I start projects I do quite a few feeds and speeds experiments on a new machine… to get the feel of the beast. I don’t just jump right in.

I was reading when the Nomad arrived late Friday afternoon… the curing times for the commercial sealants I was using on this:

That’s the enclosure for the PocketNC I designed and was working on while awaiting the arrive of the Nomad.

Yes, that’s a 2x2x12 bar of 6061-T6511 I plan to use for a few projects.

Oooo, a PocketCNC! I wanted one of those, but the Nomad was more living-room-friendly and less budget-busting (plus, I’d already paid for my Nomad…). Let us know how that thing works out, I’ve been fascinated by it since the Kickstarter kicked (ahem) off!

And… are those VHS TAPES? Great Googly Moogly, man! You need to be careful you don’t get Indiana Jones’d by some aspiring Tomb Raider looking for these ancient artifacts of a lost, nearly-forgotten age… :smiley:

1 Like

Oooo, a PocketCNC! I wanted one of those, but the Nomad was more living-room-friendly and less budget-busting (plus, I’d already paid for my Nomad…). Let us know how that thing works out, I’ve been fascinated by it since the Kickstarter kicked (ahem) off!

I’ve been one of the earliest supporters and #13 in line to receive one; it’s due before year end. I do 4 and 5 axis machining using big machines (e.g. Tormach, Haas) however, due to my interests, I’m usually doing small but complex parts. The chance to have a 5 axis machine at home was too much to pass up - even if I had to design a custom enclosure for it.

One of the major hurdles to home 4 and 5 axis machining - especially 4 and 5 continuous machining (where the axes are concurrently rotating alongside the basic 3D motions) is the cost of the CAM software to handle it. I happen to own software capable of 4 and 5 continuous machining but the price would be restrictive to most.

Another hurdle is LEARNING. One needs to have a solid understanding of machining in general and 3 axis CNC specifically before leaping into 4 and 5 axis continuous machining. The learning isn’t rocket science but it is a bit HAIRY - the machining, especially when one adds High Speed Machining (HSM) to the mix, is beyond what a human can work out (serious complexity). The CAM software uses human guidelines and then optimizes/alters the motion almost constantly.

I’m hope that, eventually, Fusion 360 will offer 4 and 5 continuous machining. The for cost Fusion 360 supports 4 and 5 indexed machining (where the stock can be turned to fixed angles, stop, then 3D milled). The PocketNC price includes a one year subscription to the for cost Fusion 360.

And… are those VHS TAPES?

Hardly, those are Blu-ray high def DVDs. :joy:

mark

Given the rate at which AutoDesk is evolving their product line for the Maker movement, I would not be surprised to see that within the next five years or less. Unless efforts like the PocketCNC go belly-up badly, there’s going to be a demand, especially for 4&5-axis CAM software that has a gentler learning curve.

Although, given the “hybrid” machines we’re seeing, I’d expect to see combo-CAM even sooner – make a single CAD file, have your hybrid machine print it “thick”, then switch heads without re-zeroing and mill it down to precision. Maybe throw in some laser etching for detail… the next decade in this field is going to be interesting.

And, are you sure those are all Blu-Rays? B/c that “Citizen Kane” and the “Classic Monsters” next to it sure look like VHS packages… :wink:

Given the rate at which AutoDesk is evolving their product line for the Maker movement, I would not be surprised to see that within the next five years or less. Unless efforts like the PocketCNC go belly-up badly, there’s going to be a demand, especially for 4&5-axis CAM software that has a gentler learning curve.

Machining could - theoretically - reduced to a question about the material and an AI (“expert system”) that knew everything there is to know about machining (a master machinist). This will eventually happen but 5 years seems a bit too fast for this.

Without an AI, gentle is still going to be pretty tough…

And, are you sure those are all Blu-Rays? B/c that “Citizen Kane” and the “Classic Monsters” next to it sure look like VHS packages… :wink:

Those are special edition Blu-ray packages. Citizen Kane includes multiple disks with analysis; Classic Monsters is a 10 disk collection. Not a VHS tape anywhere in the house (anything from then has long been diskified, even home videos) :innocent:

mark

My PocketNC arrived. Unlike the Nomad - which had it’s box rolled up the stairs, the PocketNC was carefully carried up the stairs. The box - I’m pretty sure - had something to do with this. Carbide3D should take note:

:innocent:

mark

Hey Mark, Great points.
And, We have handles and stickers now on the Nomad Pro shipping boxes.
Glad yours arrived safely, but yes, getting it delivered in the best condition can be a challenge.

We need those amazon drones and quick.:wink:

1 Like

Thanks Apollo and Carbide 3D!

I’m busy CADing up a bunch of projects. I’ll surface with things to show… but it will be a while…

mark

Do you have plans to post video of the PocketNC in use? There is limited video available of these things. The pre-order is up on their site. Very tempting.

+1 on video request! I’d love to see that thing in use.

Pretty tempting to preorder, though I’d probably choose August 2016 delivery, to allow them time to create the PocketNC Pro. Ahem.

+1 on video request! I’d love to see that thing in use.

I posted the picture illustrate the shipping challenges of the Nomad; the PocketNC did not have those issues so the counterpoint was worth mentioning. I’m glad that Carbide3D has made improvements to the box.

This being a Carbide3D site it doesn’t seem proper to publicly post videos for other machines. Let me see about how to deal with the request.

Pretty tempting to preorder, though I’d probably choose August 2016 delivery, to allow them time to create the PocketNC Pro. Ahem.

I can tell you that it is fine machine. I can also tell you that 5 axis machining is not for the faint of heart. One has to have solid fundamentals of 3D CNC. Adding two rotations, considerably more challenging fixturing, and much more complex CAM can be formidable for some.

Serious 5 axis machining can be… pricey… good software for 4 and 5 axis continuous machining - where everything is moving at the same time - is $$$.

Fusion 360 can handle 4 and 5 axis indexed machining - move to a plane and 3D machine there - but it is not in the free offering.

mark