Thoughts on a small dust collection system for my workshop?

I’m preparing for the arrival of my nomad and am considering the Vacmaster Shop Vac for dust collection. I’ve read the posts about shop vac longevity vs a true dust collector but money is a little tight this holiday season so I’m going to have to use a shop vac this time around.

Does anyone have experience with this vacuum or opinions on whether it will do the job?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Vacmaster-8-gal-Hepa-Industrial-Vac-with-2-Stage-Motor-VK811PH/203024027

Well, found my airflow noise issue. There’s an adjustable port built into the side of the tool adapter of the Fein hose that I have hose-clamped into the Deputy. That port was full open, and generating a lot of high-frequency pneumatic hiss. Once I closed that, it was much more like being in first class on an airliner: less hiss, more rumble/whooosh.

As an aside, I tried plugging the Nomad into the aux-power outlet on the Fein, but no dice – looks like there’s an auxiliary switch I don’t have that has to be used to enable that function. At first I thought it was just current/demand sensing. Oh, well.

1 Like

Are you using the Fein Turbo II or Turbo I? Can the Turbo 1 be converted to be .3 micron HEPA compliant with a new filter?

The Turbo 1 – specifically, the 9-20-27. There appear to be other models that are also called "Turbo 1."
This one uses the rectangular HEPA filter. According to the brochure, it came with a 1.0 filter, but there is a 0.3 filter available for it
here

Actually I have a question. For hobby level usage, would a water trap work as a prefilter? An example of what I’m talking about is here.
I know that a cyclone is easier to maintain, and likely better, otherwise it wouldn’t be the standard. Wouldn’t it work as a (very) cheap way to get rid of a lot of excess debris before it gets to the vacuum, or at least an entry level system?

Actually I have a question. For hobby level usage, would a water trap work as a prefilter? An example of what I’m talking about is here.1
I know that a cyclone is easier to maintain, and likely better, otherwise it wouldn’t be the standard. > Wouldn’t it work as a (very) cheap way to get rid of a lot of excess debris before it gets to the
vacuum, or at least an entry level system?

Water traps are use commercially for some dust collection… but these are combined with heavy cyclonic action and intentional vaporization. Conceptually, the physics says it should be fine.

The major challenge is never knowing if hazardous particles are getting through. I’ve never heard of or seen a water based system.

mark

If it is backed up by a vacuum with a hepa filter, it should be fine though, right? As long as the hepa filter isn’t immediately clogging.

Because I agree, conceptually it works, but I haven’t heard of anyone using them until now.

If it is backed up by a vacuum with a HEPA filter, it should be fine though, right? As long as the HEPA filter isn’t immediately clogging.

Absolutely.

Because I agree, conceptually it works, but I haven’t heard of anyone using them until now.

They do exist. I think that modern cyclones have replaced most of the uses but there are commercial usage even now. It works well for some situations.

Look up Rainbow/RainAir vacuum cleaners. They are even sold for home use. The idea is sound, the devil is in the details.

mark