Threading a Hole for a Screw/Bolt on a Nomad (Tapping/ThreadMilling)

Drill and tap (threadmill) sequence…

CAM is in the youtube description.

1 Like

I’m pleasantly surprised that threadmills work this will in a Nomad. :smiley:

We don’t call this is a drill and tap - this is a drill and threadmill. They are distinct operations, each with advantages and disadvantages.

Tapping is MUCH FASTER than threadmilling… but one needs a unique tap for each direction, size, and thread count. Lots of holes - tapping is faster than threadmilling. Tapping can go into really deep holes but blind taps - not all the way through a hole - aren’t so nice. They cut through tough materials like butter.

Tapping requires very slow speeds - lower than what the Nomad can do.

Threadmilling is nice in that one needs a small number of tools - one? - to cover a wide range of hole sizes and directions. They are designed for use in high speed mills - 30K, 40K, 60K RPM - which is why I’m surprised this comes off well in a Nomad (and why I didn’t even mention them above).

mark

That was more for search-ability than correct nomenclature. Most people have heard of a tap and know what it does… I figured people new to cnc may not have heard of thread milling. (even Google thinks I always want to buy a new 3mm Treadmill… not!) :smile:

I have a different profile tool from Maritool that I’m going to try some M6 holes tonight. I’m a bit skeptical with regard to the rigidity of the Nomad, hence the reason why I took it really slow with the M3, but we’ll see.

cheers !

1 Like

That was more for search-ability than correct nomenclature.

True, that is why I changed the name of the entire posting. :smile:

I’m very pleasantly surprised that threadmills work.

For those truly adventurous, they make threadmills that combine a threadmill (top) and end mill (bottom)! One can do the drilling, change spindle speed and program in the middle of the hole making, and threadmill! :grimacing: I’ve never had the courage to use such things and I don’t think the Nomad has a “Z” to make such devices very useful - the tools tend to be a bit long.

If you continue to have success, I will have to get some 0.125" shank threadmills and give it a try. BobCAD-CAM has all of the necessary support to do this kind of thing.

mark

You can even make external threads with a threadmill!

1 Like

You can even make external threads with a threadmill!

Yup… not that any of use will make screws or bolts or thread pipes… :joy:

mark

1 Like

I’m hoping to use threading aaaaaalot. Haha. I’m glad this is all getting worked out now. Great job guys!

:v:
-Hank