Tiling setup start and zero

When setup tiling do you set 1st cut on cut line or offset line and 2nd or third cut on the cut line or the offset line and can you use zero in center of cut not corner, looked at video and did not explain exactly or I did not understand probably me.

I mark a line on my material where zero for second and subsequent tiles will be. Then after setting zero on the first tile I mark that spot on my fence.

When it is time to start the second tile I just slide until the mark on the material lines up with the mark on the fence.

2 Likes

Thanks for your insight, I did not think of using center zero for starting point, I kept trying to use the lower edge of the square as starting point and did not know if used it or the overlap. With your experience should the overlap is kept about .50 around edges? Thanks for any input on this.

Hmm. I did use the lower left corner as zero for the first tile. If you use a fence on the left like I did it will make using the bitzero difficult so you either need a pocket in the fence or a fence thinner than your material or set by hand.

Then I draw a line on the fence where that starting corner is. Then I draw a line across the material at each tile start so every 24” if that is the size of your tile.

After the first tile is cut slide the piece forward so that the mark for tile 2 aligns with the mark on the fence.

I think I typically stick with a 1/2” tile overlap.

I have also done a cheat tile like job on a few signs that are not super critical. I basically do the same as above, but instead of sliding the board forward I flip it around. I set up diff files in CC where one has the text top to the right and the other has it to the left. This works as well and I don’t have to move my machine from the wall.

I did that for the sign below that I put at the barn where my daughter rides, but I probably wouldnt do it with more intricate stuff

3 Likes

It’s entirely arbitrary WHERE you put your marks (or dowels, or whatever you want to index to).
The crucial key is that you can move the job exactly the same distance you have set for your tile height.

So far, for the tile jobs I’ve done I do the same as Cullen. Fence on the left. Mark my zero on the job & on the fence. Measure up from the zero on the job & mark the “Tile Height” position. Then when I slide the job I just line up the marks.
I typically position the job on the workpiece in CC so that it won’t cut into the fence if it’s close to the left edge. If using a 1/4" tool, the left edge of my vectors in CC are ~0.300 from the left edge.
Or if I have a straight edge on the job, I orient the job so that edge is on the left.

3 Likes

Good info on ways to proceed. Well it’s time to do this. Thanks for all the help.

I over thought it for a long time before doing it. Once done it went ver smooth.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.