Touch probe fault

Good morning all, a bit disappointed so far with my new touch probe. i installed it last night along with the bit setter and bit runner. All has been working fine today i have run at least three large sheet multi tool cuts without fault. the latest run I continued assuming nothing would be wrong only for it to immediately snap a brand new and unused 1/16 amana bit!!

I have since probed three times exactly the same as i have been yesterday and today, the first it set the z height to almost wasteboard level, the two probes straight after have left the z height 3 mm below the surface.

I was doubting the need for the purchase of the probe in the first place, unless I have done something wrong I am regretting the purchase all together now.

Any help or suggestions welcome

Hi @T.Binns,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with this. The first event makes me think of a bad quality of contact when installing the clip ? I had such an even myself recently, when I did not realize that my endmill was dusty, just enough to keep the current from flowing through the probe circuit. I now make sure to wipe the collet and endmill clean before install the clip (well a magnet on my case, but same idea)

You should also check the probe itself by touching the clip to the probe body and check for a red LED

The other two events (cuts too deep) are different I think (I assume the probing itself went normally)

• the one where Z0 ended up at wasteboard level, what was your stock thickness?
  • the one where Z0 ended up 3mm below the surface, any chance you might have probed for Z only, but had the probe’s lip overhanging the stock corner ?
3 Likes

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly Julien. you have answered all of my questions with that reply. It seems that it was down to my error and I wasn’t using it correctly. I was unaware that when probing for just z that the probe should be completely on top.

When the mill broke it was in a cut after all of the probing was complete, I can only imagine that I had probed for just z again then too. :expressionless:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.