Touch probe no longer going to be offered?

These will BUTā€¦your electronic enclosure is MUCH tighter than the Shapeoko and not as easy to get too, so I think you would need to drill a hole for the cables, and most Nomad users donā€™t own a hand drillā€¦

Iā€™m KIDDING on the hand drill partā€¦

2 Likes

Whatā€™s a hand drill?

4 Likes

Some thing like this?

4 Likes

Why wouldnā€™t the touch probe work with the Nomad?. I already have the Triquetra wired to the tool length probe and it works fine. Is it just about physically modifying the Nomad?. I would be really disappointed if it didnā€™t.

It DOES and WILL work with the Nomad. The only problem is the installation.

1 Like

New, cheap, touch probe. works with aluminum tape, on all machines!

:slight_smile:
Not automatic, but add alligator clips and it works good.

5 Likes

@RichCournoyer Thought so. I have no problem with modding my Nomad. Have done that already. In fact, I probably already have all the rewiring needed to be done. I had bought the Triquetra a while back but didnā€™t like that I couldnā€™t use it with Carbide Motion and automatic tool length probing.

1 Like

I use the aluminum tape for edges and corners, centers, misaligned parts, material heights and tool length referencing but with this multimeter it only gives a signal because it doesnā€™t connect to the board, correct??

No it doesnā€™t.
You can put it on OHMs, put a clip on the tool, and one on the tape. As soon as it makes contact, you get a reading. Some beep too.
You still have to manually move the machine, tho, and type your zeros.

2 Likes

So a blog post release of a new Carbide Connect but still not a mention or post here about the status?

Rather disappointed in the Carbide3D team here.

A simple, ā€˜not yet ready- we want it perfect for you. We hope by xx weā€™ll have nailed it.ā€™ Somethingā€¦,

get the triquetra from the guy at inventables {heā€™s offering a fathers day special} and donā€™t look back! Waiting for this one will just make you grey. Very disappointing!!

Iā€™m sure this is also why a new CM release hasnā€™t come out. Looks like it might be something last minute. On the software download page it looks like they were all ready to release CM4/GRBL1.x, then backed away. Iā€™m sure theyā€™re close.

I do agree, a little progress information would be nice, but @RichCournoyer has been making pretty regular reports on it recently. I really canā€™t blame them though, as soon as you say anything is coming on the interwebs, everyone starts complaining itā€™s late/not good enough/ridiculous/not as good as Xā€¦makes you not want to say anything at all until itā€™s all ready to go. I would guess thatā€™s also why they didnā€™t offer pre-orders.

2 Likes

Yep! And if they ship them and there is a problem w/ the software, people will complain about THAT!

I saw a picture of quite a few of the touch-plates, Iā€™m confident theyā€™re working as quickly as can be.

2 Likes

I agree with you here - They opened this can of worms on August 18th of last year and then have said virtually nothing since. If they are going to make an announcement, they should be prepared to at least provide some ongoing communication at minimum every month or two of the status of said announcement - especially if delayed.

The concern isnā€™t the time between announcement and release (itā€™s nice to know if something is coming down the pike before dropping time or money on other solutions), itā€™s the utter lack of communication afterward. Prusa MK2 multi-material extruder is a great example - they announced in late sept., developed problems only apparent after beta release and gave a few updates until the were ready to start shipping.

I donā€™t think it is a huge time commitment to drop a note or a short update rather than leave us hanging for 10+ monthsā€¦ Anyway - off my soapbox. The triquetra $50 deal looks like a great optionā€¦

My hope is just that they donā€™t try to use the active probe circuitry to prevent any other probe from functioning with CMā€¦

2 Likes

I completely agree, that would be contrary to the whole open and hackable concept that Carbide3D has embraced.

Actually, I donā€™t think I would buy one if that was the case, Iā€™d use bCNC more, and CM less, and get a different probe.

1 Like

I wondered the same question. @RichCournoyer has confirmed that non-proprietary probing is unchanged in CM v4

1 Like

The C3D Touch Probe does NOT affect and or hinder the use of other probes. I also have the Additive Aerospace probe and use BOTH Probes in my daily work.

Relax guys.

3 Likes

Rich - I have the Additive Aerospace limit switches with the probe interface, but I had to come up with my own touch plate. did yours come with the touchplate? I know there is not much to the plate, just curious.

No, since everything I probe is conductive*, the Additive Aerospace Probe was sufficient. I LOVE the macro on the C3D Touch Probe, since it is essentially set it and forget it.

Edit (add): * = Meaning I almost never used the Additive Aerospace probe in wood.

Can you give us a preview of the Macro? Iā€™m itching for this, I made my own touch probe, but the script is a pain in the bum!