Tramming Threaded Table

How do people tram the threaded table on the Nomad, and how much deviation should I expect out of the box?

With the MDF wasteboard I can just mill it down. I am not sure if there is any adjustability for the threaded table. In the attached first video, I have an error side-to-side of more than my dial test indicator’s range (> 0.01" or 0.25mm I think):

Front-to-back it seems OK.

I shimmed it with strips of aluminum foil on the left side and got it to the state shown in the second video:

Is this the way to do it?

Even in the second video it’s not perfectly flat, is that an unevenness in the table itself?

1 Like

@Jorge or someone wrote up instructions for surfacing the bed itself using the machine — before resorting to that, please contact us at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to work through this with you.

3 Likes

Sounds good, will do, thanks!

I ended up shimming for a long time before surfacing the bed - works just fine - the bed on my machine was out about 0.12” on the X axis as well.

1 Like

I use a sacrificial 6mm plastic on top of the threaded table (with oversized holes) so I don’t cut into it. I then just surfaced the sacrificial table.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip Simon!

I saw a picture on Instagram of someone who had just got a brand new Nomad (https://www.instagram.com/p/B8MXBy3JWRE). On the picture the bed had been surfaced with what looked like a 1/4" endmill. Are Carbide3D now surfacing the beds once installed on the machine before shipping?

My Nomad is probably around 18 months old and the bed on that was not faced.

2 Likes

out of curiosity, how to install the test dial in R11 collet. My Nomad-Pro bought 13 months ago … I would also like to test there like you. I have the dial but too big and incompatible for this machine.

My dial test indicator (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VB8JYW) came with a 5/32" stem that fits into one of the collets I have (probably 4mm).

1 Like

Z-height is indeed a challenge. I ended up making an adapter that rides on the carriage

And also takes another indicator vertically:

1 Like

Cool ! Good idea !
Thank

After test, i have same problem.
is it the Nomad Threaded Table or is it the machine table? I received it in January 2019.
Is there a production batch of the Nomam pro machine?

same as me on my Nomad , the bed was not faced…

The aluminum threaded table should be quite uniform — please contact us at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to work this out.

What type plastic ? Acrylic ?

what has been the resolution to those asking about tramming their metal beds?
I am considering a Nomad once they go back on sale.

I just used a scrap piece of grey PVC as it’s pretty soft if you mill into it.

1 Like

on top to provide a leveled surface?

My threaded bed on a unit received in March, serial # 2344, has a threaded table flatness within 0.001 inch, and spindle runout within 0.01 mm. Link to video below.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B92S3dpHmeEYKl57eHiGUHzpBnDvk_e89n3FUE0/

Just a point of comparison, my aluminum threaded table is out by a whopping 0.15mm over about three inches of travel. I only realized something was off after facing down some stock and finding that it was thicker at one end. I haven’t checked whether it’s the table’s thickness that’s off or something else (I don’t have a surface place to check easily, and just measured with a dial test indicator held in the spindle collet).

My solution was to just shim it, but it would be nice to have a more permanent solution since I’ll have to do this all over again each time I swap the aluminum for an MDF wasteboard.