Tramming Tool setup?

For those that have used the typical 3/4" router bits for waste-board tramming, what have you found as the best combination for tool-path settings? With the inherent cutter angle I’m seeing on these bits I’m wondering what folks have used for smooth results?

Thanks in advance…

1 Like

If all you were doing was plunging, yes, there would be a angled center left. That’s not what you’re doing though, so as it moves along it trims out that “center hump.” Keep in mind there is a difference between tramming and surfacing. If the head is out of tram, you’ll get more cut on one side or another (which one depends on the direction the head is out of whack). If the head isn’t perpendicular to the surface, then you -will- get a non-flat surface when you’re done surfacing. Tramming is making the z axis (and router) perfectly perpendicular to the cutting surface. Once it’s in tram, then you can make the wasteboard more accurate by surfacing. Then you can tram again against the now more accurate wasteboard (and so forth until you tear your hair out)

3 Likes

Mike -

Thanks for this info on the distinction of tramming vs. surfacing. I downloaded your Wasteboard project to look at the stepover and other tool settings, so I’m going to start experimenting with your spec’s. I’m finally ready to finalize a wasteboard (or 3).

1 Like