Trouble with Z function

Hi everyone,

I’m new in the CNC environnement. I bought a Shapeoko XL recently. Putting it up was a breeze.
The problem is with the Z function. While X &Y travel normally, the Z travels about 1/4" from the top.
I don’t seem to find a way to make it move down. I did not install the limit switches, since I prefer not to
use it, while not necessary.
If you have any idea how to resolve my problem, please don’t hesitate, I will try every proposition.

Do I look like someone in despair?

Thank You,

Jean

Try to tight the z-axis pulley set-screws - work for me…

1 Like

Make sure that you did not over tighten the V-Wheels (using the offset nuts). The plastic wheels can develop a flat spot that will stop the Z axis from traveling.

The set screws are tight, the V-Wheels move smoothley.
My opinion is that it is a command misunderstanding.
Being Zero in informatics, gives me a major challenge.
But I’m open to all suggestions.

Jean

Ok, good feedback. Now (1) when the Z stops 1/4 from the top, what is the Z axis coordinate reading on the left side of Carbide Create? (example: 6mm, etc)? and (2) with the board OFF, can you move the Z-axis past that 1/4? (Meaning is there something mechanical that is stopping it from traveling that last 1/4"?

Hi Richard,

There is a misunderstanding. If the Z position is at the Z+ end,
I am only able to bring it down 1/4". Wich means that the whole travel area for the Z
is 1/4"
I have no obstruction if I bring it down to Z- end manually, with no power on.

Jean

Hi Richard,

AS for the reading in CC, I see 12.000mm if this is what you ask for.

Jean

Ok, got it, but what is the coordinate reading for the Z axis when it stops? If you haven’t set up the limit switches, did the factory set the board up to accept them? Ref GRBL '$22=1" to enable homing? (To view that the settings were accepted, type $$ and the current board settings will be displayed)

EDIT (ADD) Can you rapid move the Z (Trying, Fast, Slow, 1mm, etc) up and down?

Here are the screens I see on CM. Where do I type $$? And yes I can rapid move the Z, but
for only 1/4" .

Jean

You type $$ right on that green line in front of the send button on the MDI page. That should display all of the GRBL settings.

I typed $$ right on that green line in front of the send button on the MDI page.
Nothing happened

Jean

Hmm. That is odd. I no longer use Carbide Motion, so I can’t test to see where it should output. But if I remember correctly you should see all of your settings right on the MDI screen once you enter $$ and press send.

You need to open the “Log” window to see the dialog resulting from MDI… Launch this from the Settings page and then enter your $$ command.

1 Like

ok, here is the window I get following the last instructions Click on it to see the codes

Jean

I think its time to call it a day.
Thank You everyone, We’ll to continue tomorrow.

Again, Thanks all,

Jean

Is the router installed? And the springs?
Are the belts slipping?
If none of the above are an issue, I would suggest contacting support at this time.

That will be my first move tomorrow.
Thank You

Jean

All that you mentionned is verified and normal.

Can you make a video of what you are describing? They say a picture is worth a 1000 words.