Tutorial on feeds and speeds

I think this is awesome, and would indeed be awesomer if inserting numbers inside the circles and squares was doable

Thanks! What numbers would you wish to see? You can get the values for a given point by mousing over it.

@cgallery — I’ll have to see. One can drill down to a specific datapoint by clicking on the sets you’re interested in — clicking on the material you want, is pretty effective. When we add more values I believe it will continue to be pretty effective.

Silly me, I did not realize you could click on an element in the list, and it gets highlighted. So I take back my comment, this is already awesomest :slight_smile:

Thanks!

I guess the big questions are which aspects it makes sense to use for controls:

• materials — definitely
  • endmill — not sure why I didn’t use that, but arguably:
    • diameter
    • no. of flutes make more sense
  • machine I’m not sold on, but seems an obvious thing

I’d like to have some way to select a spindle speed range — that way folks w/ a given tool could choose to see only relevant entries.

Cancel my comment, I didn’t realize I could click on a material and the chart would highlight my selection.

Very neat! Thanks for doing all this work!

My pleasure!

Feedback on which elements to provide to be clickable would be welcome, and their hierarchy / ordering.

Converting the balance of this post into a new topic — please see:

The order most useful to me would be:

1. machine (clears out the field and one less reminder about the opportunity to spend money on a beautiful Nomad :slight_smile:
  2. material (input constraint on 99% of my projects)
  3. endmill size & #flutes (input constraint when you have a limited set and/or the features to carve demand specific sizes)
  4. min/max RPM (I personnally really dislike going to the higher RPMs range (noise!), and prefer to stick to e.g. 12.000 and adjust feedrate accordingly, when this is possible/compatible with SO max feedrate)
1 Like

Come to the Nomad side, we have fixtures.

(and peace and quiet, and an enclosure, and a tool length sensor, and ER-collets, and can use an edge finder…)

1 Like

You can’t use an edge finder on a SO3?

Not a mechanical one with a trim router — you can use it if you have a spindle or VFD which spins at low enough speeds — that said, I think my Nomad is jealous of the probe on my SO3 XL.

2 Likes

Okay, I’ve added some more values, and adjusted things a bit further — getting a bit cluttered, but hopefully useable still.

Cool. Is it possible to make diameter a filter (like machine & material), instead of a legend/key ?

Not that I can tell — numeric ranges seem to have a limited number of options — I suppose if I hard-code them to have the unit that would then allow that, but it would then disable using them as numbers to calculate the size of the datapoint (which aspect I like)

Your chart is easy to read, and use. I love it. All information on one screen, no scrolling, sorted amazingly. Terrific job Will, many thanks to your determined efforts. Jude

Thanks!
Here’s a version with the current Carbide 3D feeds and speeds:

https://public.tableau.com/profile/willadams#!/vizhome/Carbide3DCNCFeedsandSpeeds/Sheet1?publish=yes

I’ll start in on filling in the first version from the wiki, then we’ll fill in all the gaps.

1 Like

The nomad side… Shapeoko for ever !!!

1 Like

This is a relatively complicated project that I am interested in contributing too but don’t foresee me doing much for at least 2 weeks. I like where it is going. I have been using CNG-Wizard up until the end of summer, then I realized that I needed an enclosure and much better dust collection (which is all still in the works).

1 Like

Thanks Will for all your hard work. This should be extremely useful.

Okay, back at this.

Here’s the thing which I’m trying to wrap my mind around — Chip Load Per Tooth — using as an example 0.004, for a 2-flute endmill this value appears at:

36" @ 4500 RPM
40" @ 5000 RPM
50" @ 6250 RPM
60" @ 7500 RPM
72" @ 9000 RPM

(and at various interpolated numbers — I suppose a graph might help)

and for a 3 flute endmill at:

45" @ 3750 RPM
60" @ 5000 RPM
75" @ 6250 RPM
90" @7500 RPM

So in theory, each of those cuts ought to take the same size / shape chip (accounting for variations in the flute shape as determined by diameter) and the reason to pick one over the other would be determined by the spindle power needed to spin at a given RPM, the desired Surface Feet Per Minute for cutting a given material w/ a given endmill, and the power needed for the machine to move at that rate while making the cut and not losing position.

Some reference PDFs:

2 Likes