Understanding the loss of rapids

New to Shapeoko and to Fusion 360 (20+ year SolidWorks user).

As i try to learn this new software and equipment, I’m trying to fully understand the changes to Fusion’s personal license.

So the new changes significantly reduces the rapid feeds when running a program if using the personal version. Was there a spot that a user could enter the rapid rate they wanted in Fusion and now that’s removed or is it still there and it’s over ridden once you process your program?

or you post process your gcode via https://fenrus75.github.io/FenrusCNCtools/ncopt/ncopt.html and get a more optimized gcode

6 Likes

So if you upload your gcode to that, it will post process it for the Shapeoko and fix the reduced rapid speeds?

basically. it currently has 3 optimizations, including detecting missing rapids

2 Likes

So in Fusion if i just enter in feedrate for cutting and plunging, your program will compute the rapids?

Sorry, ive only spent about an hour in Fusion so far and last night i did a simple program to test cut some holes for designing a spoil board setup. The only settings i messed with were feedrate and plunge rate and when i ran the program I noticed the crazy slow rapids and that’s when i recalled reading something on here about the new Fusion rules changing something with rapids.

I was able to get my work network SolidWorks license changed to an online license. Now I can have SolidWorks at home. Just something to think about.

I find learning a new CAD program after 20 years exciting! It’s just getting over old habits or constantly looking for tools/features I would use in SW but can’t find it easily in Fusion.

1 Like

I agree. While frustrating, it was nice using a different CAD/CAM system. The way Fusion handles “mates” and top-down modeling was encouraging. The lack of broken relations was pretty amazing. I also liked the CAM in Fusion more. But when it came down to it, I am still much more comfortable with SolidWorks and its features. The moving goal post, that Autodesk has a history of, became frustrating. Because of that, I took advantage of the accessibility I have to SolidWorks.

Completely ignorant here … Is SolidWorks on the same business model path that Fusion is? In other words, do you think that all of these packages will soon find the same model to compete with? (Ignoring how one actually uses the product’s features.)

SolidWorks is a commercial/industrial CAD/CAM. There are ways to get a student license, but overall it is not cheap. The most basic package is around $3500, while the most premium package with a 3rd party full CAM and flow simulations can go well over $10000.

One way to get it “free” is with a EAA membership.

1 Like

Another option for a SolidWorks license is to get the educational version if you are a U.S. or Canadian veteran — you apply and pay on an annual basis.

They had a “Maker” license for a while, but it seems to be expired.

This topic was automatically closed after 10 days. New replies are no longer allowed.