UPS recommendations

Hi guys, lately I have been having short seconds of electricity shut down or 3 minutes max, so I would like to invest in a UPS in order to solve this, since a shut down of the power in the middle of a 10 hours finishing toolpath would be a disaster for my sanity. Could you guys recommend me an UPS model or tell me what should I look for a Shapeoko 4 UPS? I understand that I can’t just purchase the cheapest UPS of the market since the router could ended up spinning really slow and have an accident. Thanks.

My understanding is whichever one you get, it needs to output the power as a “sine wave” if you are using an AC router.

See:

and other discussions here.

1 Like

I have used the APC Smart-UPS line for my SO3 in the past, and it runs just fine. I live in the greater Seattle area, a very tech heavy area, so I can find the APC Smart-UPS 1500 on Offerup and Craigslist for $50-$100 that just need new batteries, so I buy them and put in new batteries. I have 4 or 5 around my house in use.

Here is a quick video of when I pulled the plug on the UPS with the router running. It’s a terrible video, because it was a spur of the moment thing to actually try it out. I was in the process of swapping out the router, so I just put a running router on the bed to simulate the load. Also, the one in the video is the Smart-UPS 1000. I have one of those.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.