I recently got a lovely new edge finder from C3D, and wanted to make sure I’m using it right on my Nomad 883. Still very much a beginner! I’m posting a video of the key moment, to verify for myself that I did it right, and hopefully to act as a reference for any future users.
Here’s what I did:
- moved the edge finder it so it was nearly touching the edge of the stock,
- turned on the spindle,
- advanced the edge finder .01mm at a time until it suddenly “went out of round” (not sure of the correct term)
- moved it back .01mm at a time until it snapped to being smooth again
- used that, minus the radius of the edge finder, as my zero for Y.
- repeated with the X axis.
Here’s a video of the key moment, when it goes from smooth to wobbly to smooth again. Did I get it right?