Using MDI to set position

What’s not working?
What are you sending and what are you expecting?

Well, I am looking at the x/y and it is positioned near the front left… machine cords are in the 30s… so I believe it is inches. I thought sending G20 told the unit that subsequent commands would be in inches?

Negative, right?

That’s correct.

Yeah
So carbide motion has an option to clear the coordinates … making machine and normal the same
Worth eliminating one more thing for now

Also simplest test… grab current coordinates and try to go to the current position

I am sending codes using the MDI screen pretty much exactly like in my steps above. I am using an XXL, so that x/y I send should send the spindle near the front left of the machine. Instead, it moves it near the back right. I believe it is because it thinks my x/y are in millimeters.

What command(s) are you sending?

So if the spindle is dead center, I do the following:

G20
Send
G53G0X-30Y-30
Send

It moves to back right

Hmmm…do you know how to view the log? Can you paste its output here?

I actually tried sending to current coordinates… which should not move the spindle, but it does.

Might need more explanation about clearing. Are you talking about clearing the offsets?

I can figure it out… I will have to grab it tomorrow (not at my machine at the moment)

1 Like

I don’t use Motion, but my hunch is that Motion is intercepting your G20 and deciding that it’ll be better for you if you don’t do that. Knowing that Motion likes to secretly approve or disapprove of any command you send, try adding the magic / in front of G20 to bypass Motion’s ability to protect you from you.

I will give that a shot… so it would be
/G20
Send
G53G0X-30Y-30
Send

By the way… as a software guy, it bothers me that there is no confirmation that the code sent successfully…

Again…just a guess, but yes, that’s what I was thinking.

That’s why the log output will tell you a lot.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.