V-bit feeds and speeds ballpark: yay or nay?

A while ago I tried to collect data to come-up with a baseline set of feeds and speeds for V-bits, based on what people happened to use, since there is apparently no good way to determine them theoretically due to the weirdness of their geometry and toolpaths (i.e. chipload-based approach does not work very well for V-carving)

I’d like to at least have a ballpark set of values to mention in the e-book, and as far as I can tell after reading a number of posts and comparing to my own notes, the feeds and speeds for 60 and 90deg Vbits in wood are typically like so:

• RPM in the 16-20k range

• Feedrate in the 30-60 ipm range

• Depth per pass in the 0.1-0.2" range

• Plunge rate in the 10-20 ipm range

I’ll be happy to hear from you all, whether the values you use for your V-carve jobs fall in those ranges, or not. Noting that these are intended to be “comfort zone” settings, not aggressive ones.

3 Likes

0.1 doc, 40 to 50ipm (depending on type of wood), 4+ setting on dewalt. 20ipm plunge (HDZ)

however one variable you haven’t covered yet is if you do a roughing pass first. If you do a proper roughing pass first you can push the F&S much higher in my experience.

302,Carbide 3D,302,https://shop.carbide3d.com/products/302-0-50-v-bit-cutter-60-qty-2,60 degree V bit,vee,0.5,0,0.25,0,60,2,0.125,0,12,35,18000,0.1,0,20,100,18000

in CSV format :wink:

3 Likes

You may get your answers after you get entries for your latest challenge!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.