Vcarving too deep and design question

Maybe what I am asking is does someone think the way I received the logo drawn is my issue. If the double lines were closer together would it alleviate the depth? I’ve done the army logo, USMC logo and several others with much detail and not had this problem. But for this I am. I have no problem if you run it, I don’t want to bother you though.
One other thing is when I got this logo drawn by a design person, it now takes 1 hour and 50 minutes to cut vs designs like army and USMC take hour or less, all same sizes. Maybe this has nothing to do with anything, but I just feel like its a design issue. Thank you, Thank you.

@BOX5 Can you share the gcode?

logo.nc (919.3 KB)

1 Like

Artwork looks good, gcode looks good.
How are you setting your zero with the v-bit?

1 Like

Load the file into a vector editor and check for:

• number of nodes — simplify if need be
  • stacked/duplicate/redundant geometry — delete

when assigning toolpaths, try selecting smaller areas where possible in an ordering which optimal for machine movement — if you still have difficulties, post to support@carbide3d.com

lower left corner, paper test. If I set the zero at height of paper test I know it will be too high. So, I do paper test and raise it at least .5mm and hope for the best. And when i say paper test, I mean BARELY touching paper.

1 Like

When you create the tool path, select a wider angle bit. You are using a 60 degree bit? so tell carbide create it is a 90 degree bit and it will not cut so deep…
If that does not make enough difference, create your own tool even wider angle, (not actually make a tool, just edit it in the tool library and the program will figure the new depth???

I am new to this, so check with others first
and Good Luck!

Can you run a test on your failed workpiece?
Set your XY lower left (same) and your Z the same way you did (without raising the extra .5mm), turn on the router, go to the MDI and send
G1X760Y400F1500

That will send your router to the back right corner of the workpiece at Z zero (should, at most, see a tiny scratch). Report back what you see.
Get a video too!

1 Like

I will certainly give it a try. So set zero, then go to run, turn on router, then I will see MDI and type in the number? Or just set zero and turn router and then do MDI without doing run? Sorry but I haven’t done this before.

OK. I keep trying to upload the video but it keeps telling me it’s too big. 54 seconds and compressed. It went about 1/2" before starting to mark the board. It gradually got deeper as it got to the right rear corner. Not a scratch but a cut.

1 Like

Most likely, you’re wasteboard or your stock is not flat or perpendicular to your cutter (tram).
When I do a detailed v-carve, I always surface the stock. It’s a pain to do when it’s like yours because you have to surface, then stain, then put it back in the same position.
It makes everything consistent, though.

2 Likes

Mike, I had the same problem. My solution was to look at the bottom of the bit to make sure it is not flat. Mine was flat. So, I bought a new it with a point on it. Everything worked.

Also, check your $102 setting. Make sure it is about 305.

Last thing, the double lines, like folks are saying, will cause your job to take twice as long. To see the double lines, blow up your drawing to see the double lines. Delete all except one. This issue drove me nuts until I got it figured out.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.