Very loud resonance on new Nomad 3

I am the proud new owner of a Nomad 3 which was delivered on August 24th. The machine has been amazing and I am loving every minute of it. I purchased the machine mostly as a learning tool to teach myself CAD/CAM after spending many years 3d printing. I have only done a handful of projects as I am still learning, but today when carving an image of a cat the machine had a nearly intolerable resonance noise which even my earplugs hard a hard time blocking out. The noise has not happened on any previous projects.

Here is what the machine sounds like today using the default settings from carbide create for Nomad 3 softwood with the 122 endmill.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/8QCENYX8P2Y

And here is what it sounded like a week ago cutting some aluminum at 22k rpm:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/hiXxNN591AI

Even if i remove the collet fan, collet nut, and just run an empty spindle with an M03S24000 command it still creates this terrible fire alarm resonating sound. Slowing the speed down to around 20k reduces the speed of the resonance but it is still there. If I hold my hand against the motor or spindle block while it is running I do not feel the resonanace, and if I put my ear closer it certainly seems to be coming from the spindle block, but I’m not sure if it’s normal.

Cat still turned out great BTW

3 Likes

I gave a sign to a friend that had both cats and dogs.

Dogs have Masters
Cats have Servants

1 Like

I’d recommend reaching out to the carbide support team if you haven’t yet.
They’ve helped me twice now with exceptionally loud spindle issues. They know what they’re doing :slight_smile:

Sidenote: Starting off right with a smw plate and mod vice! Good move, I love mine. Wish I’d bought them sooner.

Thanks, I did also contact them. As for the SMW vice, there was too much play in the carbide vice and my legos didn’t turn out square. The new plate is great although I had to shim it with some aluminum foil as the rails underneath were not flat. The plate is now 0.001" left to right and 0.0005" front to back. Although somehow the vice jaws are perfectly level with the machine which is great.

With the SMW vise the jaws can vary slightly depending on how even the anti seize is spread under the sliding jaw. Make sure you use it on all the bolt threads and the taper of the sliding side clamping bolts for getting the best clamping out of them.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.