VFD Parameters (Huanyang model)

What do you have for PD070?

The manual for my model says;
0 -> 0-10V
1 - > 0-5V

And the others are non-voltage settings. I suggest checking your manual for your model.

Also double-check the equivalent of params PD072 through 76 for your VFD maybe, since those parameters configure the mapping/curve between the input voltage and the output RPM (on the old Huanyang series that is, I’m not sure about new models)

PD070 is set to 1 (0-5v) and input applied to AI1 port, set to control rpm via AI1.

1 Like

The frequency curve settings all appear the same, and have the same descriptions for each in the manual. Where my thinking has got to is that a rpm ceiling of 3,000 is 1/8th of max, exactly as 50 is 1/8th of 400. So my thinking is the Mini VFD needs one setting - I could imagine this being Reference Frequency - being 50, dealing with the 1/8th. Will try this on the machine having only got it as a theory for now

Something odd is happening. Laser RPM meter arrived, and on manual control (keyboard/Potentiometer) and F143 = 2 poles, F144 set to 240 then the RPM is correct to potentiometer 0-400 giving measured rpm to 24,000. Reference and Max Frequency set to 400. So under manual control, it appears to be OK.
Switch back to External Terminal and AI1 with these same settings (most notable F144=240) and M3S1000 results in 6,000 rpm by M3S5000 the spindle has reached measured 24,000. AI1 mode is set to F070 = 1 (0-5v) and F072 = 400 (high-end analog freq). All very perplexing…
Repeated posts and references say that F144 should be 3,000 for 50hz mains, 2 pole and 400hz spindle, yet that doesn’t work even under manual control, only F144 = 240 gave correct RPMs

Well, for a freezing, foggy day here in the UK, I’ve got the thing working… It appears that the VFD I have is not the same setup as Huanyang. This is Jiangsu Decoder Electric model H100, 1.5KW 220V 50Hz ordered with the G-Penny 800w water cooled 24000 rpm spindle as a bundle.

Major settings that resulted in it working now (either that or the rapidity escalating expletives offered as ‘encouragement’ when the expected settings didn’t work!!):

F001 set 0 External Terminal control
F002 set 1 Analogue Qty frequency setting
F004 set 400 Reference Frequency
F012 set 0 Drive Control VF
F044 set 02 X1 Function = FOR and wire this terminal to GND
F070 set 0 0~10v Input channel selection for Analogue qty
F072 set 97 High-end Analogue Qty (not 400 that Huanyang needs)
F073 set 0.1 Low-end Analogue Qty
F080 set 0 Multi-Segment speed ‘Normal Operation’
F141 set 220 Rated Voltage of motor
F142 set 4 Rated Current of motor
F143 set 2 Number of motor Poles (appears to be 2 unless you know for certain it is 4)
F144 set 24000 Motor rotating speed (not 3000 that Huanyang needs). To set this value you have to scroll the numbers up beyond 9999 then the display switches into ‘thousands mode’
F159 set 100 Target PID value
F160 set 0 PID channel setting to follow F159

ShapeOKO 3XL Carbide Motion Controller is set $30 = 24000 and $31 = 0. Probed the PWM signal and it is correctly outputting 0.1-5v divided into 255 steps according to the GRBL speed request 0-24000 rpm.

Spindle speeds measured with a laser RPM meter: above 1000rpm are within 2% or so. Below this the Constant Torque settings in the VFD start interacting with the actual RPMs.

2 Likes

Happy New Year!

I bought a 110v 1.5kw vfd and spindle and can’t get it work, I read all the comments above and still can’t get mine working. It wont spin past 10-12k rpms. I’m not sure if settings are different versus the 220V settings. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Do you know if you have the Huanyang model, or the Jiangsu Decoder Electric model? Or something other than these two common models? The setup for these differ in a few key areas such that following the wrong tips will not likely make it work. If the label on the unit (the VFD) doesn’t say, the instruction booklet likely will.

1 Like

Where do I locate the GRBL settings to change it to $30? I have finally managed to get my spindle and vfd mounted and wired, just programming in the parameters then I should finally be able to start making again.

If you are using Carbide Motion, on the MDI tab you can type commands such as $$ to get a report of all current settings, $30=0 to set $30 to zero. The actual GRBL command interface is a serial terminal, so other tools could do this command send/set, but if you have CM it is made easy

2 Likes

(I will just add that it is useful to have the log window open when using the MDI tab, to be able to see the effect of sending the $ commands. The log window can be opened from the bottom of the Settings menu)

1 Like

I am using carbide motion, and I will look into this after I finish my night shifts. When on nights I never attempt any project that requires me to of anything else other than basic functions. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I just got a spindle and HY VFD and set it up according to this thread. I spent the last couple days troubleshooting why speed control was not working with the SO3. I checked voltage on the PWM terminal and it was a solid 0 volts in any condition. I hooked up my JTech laser and it worked fine, so I knew I was getting a PWM signal when the laser is running.

Then it hit me. When GRBL is in Laser Mode ($32=1), the PWM doesn’t fire unless the controller is in a G1 state and during any G0 moves, the PWM turns off. I am happy that I finally figured that out, but now I am going to have to switch between CNC Mode and Laser mode depending on the job I am running.

1 Like

Can I get your input on something. The issue I am having has to do with the displayed RMP in Mach4 vs the RPM as measured by a laser tachometer.

Using Mach4, I find that when I start the spindle at 8K RPM it does not move, at 10K it moves at 8k, at 12k it is the same as 10k, 14k I get about a 600 RPM increase, at 16k I am at about 10k… you get the picture.

I used most all of your same settings. Here are the ones I changed:

First changed these:

PD011 = 0 ; frequency lower limit. Left at default value of 0 RPM, which is fine for a water-cooled spindle that has constant liquid flow. I first set this to 120Hz
PD070 = 1 ; required to configured PWM as being a 0-5V input (default was 0 = 0-10V) - I set mine to 0 because I believe my the output from my plug and play control system is 0-10v.
PD142 = 10 ; my spindle max rate current - I set mine to 8.5, the current rating labeled on the side of my spindle.

After getting the results I outlined at the start, I made additional changes in the following areas.

PD011 = 0 ; frequency lower limit. Left at default value of 0 RPM, which is fine for a water-cooled spindle that has constant liquid flow. I set this to 133.33Hz which should be 8000rpm.
PD006 = 2.5 ; default value for Intermediate Frequency (Hz) - I did 3 because I live in the USA at 60 (Hz)
PD009 = 15 ; Intermediate Voltage - Per the chart on page 28 for model HY02D223B set to 13V
PD010 = 8 ; Minimum Voltage - Per the chart on page 28 for model HY02D223B set to 6.5v

What is your opinion on getting the correct RPM. Are my settings correct? In writing this, I am thinking perhaps I need to change the following as well:
PD073 = 0.0; frequency for min VO (0V) - Should I set this to 133.33Hz or 120hz?

Thanks for your input.

Hi @Markto1225,

I would have liked to go back and test some settings for you but right now my Shapeoko is sitting on the floor, unplugged, among an ocean of boxes, as is my desktop computer. Also known as “moving in a new house and being completely under”. And since I’m typing this from my phone I won’t elaborate as much as I’d like.

The very first step I would take is checking what voltage you actually get from Mach4, when commanding specific RPM values. If you don’t know for a fact that they match the 0-10V scale, you could loose time messing with the VFD params when it could be a setting in Mach4.

Once this is OK, if the RPM is still off, you can modify the values of PD072 through PD076 to remap the 0 to 10V input scale to any desired output scale from 0Hz to 400Hz (=full speed/24000 RPM on my spindle)

Let us know what you find!

2 Likes

Are there any parameters that control the fan? Or is unplugging or snipping the wires the only options?

On my VFD (Huanyang older model) there is no setting for fan control, so I finally added a thermal switch so that at least it only activates when required. Details here

4 Likes

As this is the gospel for the third party VFD install I was wondering if anyone has flashed their controller with the latest carbide motion settings for the carbide VFD.
I am currently installing a Huanyang VFD as per the above tutorial and currently wiring up the VFD to controller as per the PWM & GND wires detailed above.
I am wondering how many pins are connected between the carbide VFD and controller and if any additional wires can be connected between controller & third party VFD to piggy back the VFD drop down flash settings in the latest release of carbide motion.
I have started a new topic here https://community.carbide3d.com/t/carbide-vfd-diy-retrofit/45365?u=nytram6

Is your motor a 2 pole or 4 pole?

Not absolute but I think the frequency should be set to 400 not as I did to 60 hz. I don’t use the pwm for speed control as I adjust by the chips and sound. I also never leave my xxl unattended.

This topic was automatically closed after 23 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.