Wanting to cut out words and shapes

Hi im new to all of this still and i bought the machine to cut out words and shapes to make signs. what do i need to do that. Bit wise i guess. i have the xxl with dewalt.
thanks
Misty

For that purpose, you need Vectric’s Vcarve software (Desktop version goes up to 25" x 25" space). No question. Really good at manipulating text.

Here is a tutorial on words in Carbide Create:

https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Child_Name_or_Letter_Board

For shapes see:

and

depends on how big you go.

my go to bits are

1/4" (#201) – big area / large letters
1/8" (#102) – medium sized details
2mm bit – finer details / small fonts
60degree V (#302) – for cutting text into stuff rather than having it stand up

2 Likes

I have VCarve Pro and I like it a lot but IMO, for cutting words and shape, @Misty can use Carbide Create to get going but may want to also do some of the design in Inkscape, then import the SVG to create toolpaths in Carbide Create and have no problem but there will come a time when you will need to get fancier projects or an integrated tool and VCarve will be your best option.

3 Likes

Where do u purchase these from are there better brands then others? Thanks

you generally get what you pay for…
however when you’re new to stuff, don’t overpay. you WILL destroy some bits as you learn… better to break a $4 than a $40 one…

For example, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073TXC45Z is a great 2mm bit set.
(Start with 15ipm feedrate and 8 ipm plunge at 0.04 DOC)

(I like the 2mm since it somehow fits inbetween the imperial units in a spot that seems to be smallest bit you can get that is still “thick and long” vs thing-and-fragile… so for me this is how I get decent detail without insane cutting times). You snap one once in a while if you go too fast or make a mistake, but you’re not out an arm and a leg either.
(and downcut tends to give nice results on many types of wood)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.