We need to adapt the Grow Room plans to an SO3

if possible, or at least an XL or XXL:

Plans at: https://github.com/space10-community/the-growroom



Seeing as these are all cut from 4’ x 8’ sheets, is it your goal to build a scaled version of this?
I did a quick import and my grid is at 12" intervals.

Just curious?

1 Like

You could do this for succulents on the S3 or Nomad :smiley:

I kinda want to make one for my desk…

1 Like

Cool idea, but curious how they’re addressing the risk of mold/rotting to keep the plywood from degrading quickly, and 17 sheets of plywood… good gosh.

Yeah, I think it should be made out of HDPE or PVC lumber (or painted with a UV-resistant paint).

The parts layout seems profligate of material to me (per @jimidi’s images) — hoping I can find some more reasonable arrangement and save some material.

There are some interesting automatic CAM path features in Estlcam I might experiment with using these files/parts, however the larger task at hand is the obvious optimization to cut this for XL/XXL machines. To get anything close to this scale will require some careful planning as the larger parts exceed 6 feet. One might get a “hobbit sized” end result with single pass part cutting, but I have yet to compare the scaling factors

While plywood is a reasonable material choice, eventual long term setup where it’s vulnerable to moisture from environment or “payload” is a concern. It is a head-turning concept and it has piqued my interest. Thanks for sharing @WillAdams

1 Like

I believe that we can do multiple / over-lapping pieces in lieu of the larger single pieces — there’s also rotating pieces diagonally on the cutting area — as I noted, I found the material usage profligate to the point of being reprehensible.

Alternately, if we can get it down to just a couple of large (hopefully identical) pieces, perhaps we can work up a plan for jigs (say in the waste area of the cuts?) which would allow one to cut out the pieces using a router and flush cutting / bearing guided bit.

I took some stabs this morning at scaling…

The primary structure is cut from 18mm ply (.708"), and the driving factor for scaling this project is the slot/pocket width where tabs slide through to create the interlocked structure. I took a quick look at scaling to standard 0.5" and 0.375" play that one could easily acquire from the local big box store.

I also looked at the largest part span based on the best case diagonal span of an XXL (a theoretical 46.67" using a 33" x 33" cutting area).

Unfortunately, with 0.5" ply (a 70% reduction), the span of a “D Section Ring” exceeds the 46.67 part span (this pic shows a 12" grid):

Using .375" ply looks doable, however one ends up with a 53% scale of the original (a hobbit grow room). I’m gonna try a couple scaled pocket cuts tonight and do some further analysis.


I tried scaling and cutting some pockets from this model… I started with empirical values (18mm / 0.708") for scale factors, and my results were not as expected (all the scaled pocket cuts were larger). I then tried cutting a pocket at full scale, and the resultant pocket width for the 0.708" ply was actually 0.75" width. Therein lies the scaling error.

I don’t think 0.5" ply is viable choice for a straight-scaled approach.

1 Like

I stand corrected… 05" ply does look doable!

If I scale toolpaths to create a pocket that is 0.52", the worst case span of the “D” parts is well under 48" (the pictured grid is 12"). Scaling is in the 60% realm which would net something that one might be able to climb inside of…


I’ve played a bit more with the scaling and did some additional digging into “commodity” plywood. Home Depot supplies a 15/32" 4’ x 8’ sheet (with a .437" actual width / SKU# 20159). Scaling the model to yield a 0.45" width slot requires a reduction to 60%, and the net size of the largest “D” section just fits in a 33" x 33" workspace:


What about sticking to original scale, rearranging the pieces on to 2’x4’ stock, and tiling the tool paths?

1 Like

I’d love someone to document full scale pieces on the XXL, perhaps pulling them into Easel (which I believe supports tiling?). The larger shelf cuts require 2’ x 6’ items cut from even larger stock, so I’m certain an XXL jigged up for a tiling cut operation would be up to the task of a full-scale version.

I’m working with the tool-chain I’m familiar and exploring a scaled-down approach with all things considered, including off-the-shelf ply from the big box stores. I have yet to experiment with tiling operations (although I’d love to have tiling operations under my belt).

1 Like

I’m only familiar with fusion 360. And I’m on an Xl. So I guess I’d need to know if any of the pieces require any more than 30ish inches of x axis. I recently built my Xl out with the express intent of tiling projects, so it’s an activity I’m keenly interested in. Although, being a bit of a neophyte…I may be best off starting with projects of lesser complexity.