Well, I broke down and went for the trifecta (and more)

Already had a 1/8" and 1/4" precision collet from Elaire, and then I got the pair from Carbide 3D, and I finally decided I should just get all the other sizes, or ordered the 4/6/8mm set from Elaire Corp. along w/ the 3/16" — I’m hoping the 8mm will work for 5/16" endmills such as:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q8M1SRS

We’ll see.

1 Like

I bought all these sizes plus 3/8in but 99% of the use is 1/4 and 1/8. At least I know that I have the right sizes for any possible endmill fitting the Makita.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll probably have to break down and get a 3/8" as well — if for no other reason than for a dial indicator.

I’d like to hear more about what bits you use with the 3/16” collet after you get into it, Will. I bought that whole set originally for my dewalt, but I’ve never used the 3/16” collet.

They’re somewhat rare, but seem to be popular for folks machine 1/4" holes (for cribbage boards?).

Ah well, what’s the whole saying?

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds…

1 Like

I have 3/16 bits, but I don’t use them often, I guess you get used to certain sizes and they become your go-to. It goes faster than a 1/8 but can’t get in the same corners if I want to clear a larger area, I usually use 1/4 probably out of habit but I could also use 3/8 which would be faster.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.